Hello fellow divers from a passionate divemaster candidate and blogger in Honduras!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone. I am a long time lurker but first time poster. I have only been diving for a little over a year and I have been in love since my first pool session.

Right now I am in Roatan Honduras doing my divemaster internship with plans to complete an IDC some time this coming year. I can't wait to be able to share my love of diving with others. The only thing I love more than diving is seeing a smile on a new divers face!

I have a son who is autistic and special needs who is an amazing long distance swimmer and special olympics champion and I hope that I can teach him and other special needs people to Scuba. I am a big supporter of inclusiveness in all sports and I believe that as long as a doctor clears someone for diving, and they can find a willing teacher such as myself they should be given the opportunity to dive in conditions that are suitable for their skill level, no matter the physical or mental disability. So that drives my motivation as well as my absolute love for seeing the joy on new divers faces.

I also believe in promoting marine and climate conservation efforts by creating passionate and skilled divers. I have always been a bit of an environmentalist, but since beginning diving my eyes have really been opened to the importance of protecting the beauty that we have underwater. One day I just thought to myself - what better way is there to get people to care about the planet they are on then to give them a real reason to care. Good divers keep diving, and if I can be a great instructor I can make good divers. So that drives me to become an amazing instructor as well.

I have been very fortunate that in the past year to have found a great group of more experienced divers to mentor me, which has allowed me to learn a lot in a short period of time, but I by no means know it all. I also count ScubaBoard as one of those mentors since I have searched the forums to answer many a question I have had. Lot's of great info here!

I'm not only a tropical diver either, I also love the colder water dives in Canada and adore old ship wrecks. Of the about 160 dives I have done in the past year, about 60 of those were Canadian wreck and lake dives. I even dive in the lakes back home that don't have anything of interest. I just love to get wet that much!

I also adore underwater photography, and hope to expand my knowledge of that as time and money allow.

Right now I am blogging about my experiences in becoming a divemaster as I complete a rather long internship here in Honduras. If anyone wants to check it out - https://scubajennie.wordpress.com/

I had a hard time finding any real information on the process of becoming a DM beyond the basics, so I thought blogging about my experiences would help others prepare and plan. I also blog about conservation and inclusiveness in diving and just things of general interest to me.

Also if anyone wants to add me on twitter please do! I love to tweet https://twitter.com/ScubaJennie

My facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/ScubaJennie.AdventuresInTheDeep/ if anyone wants to like it.
If anyone wants to add me as a friend here or give me any sage advice as I move through the professional challenges of becoming an instructor please feel free. There are so many great instructors and DM's from around the world on here.

Also, I love collaborating with other bloggers so if you are a dive blogger and would like me to guest write I'm always up for that. Or if there is anything you think I should be writing about just let me know!

I look forward to being more active on the forums as I go through probably the biggest challenge I have ever faced in my life, but also the most worth while!

Can't wait to hear from you all. Have an awesome day!:balloons:

Oh yeah, if it isn't appropriate that I posted my links, please let me know. I don't make any money by doing the blogging, it really is because I love to write and love to dive, but if it is against the rules please let me know, I won't be offended.

Hi Jennie, welcome to SB and the professional stream. My recommendation to all prospective and current new DM is dive dive dive. There is nothing like a variety of experience to help when you are responsible for other divers welfare. Rather than being someone who takes a course and then sits on their laurels, I believe in getting as much experience as one can, in particular by diving as much as possible in varying conditions from great to crap. This is the best teacher of all, and certainly opens ones eyes to the thoughts of "If I had 2 other divers with me now, how would I cope given the conditions", rather than "well the text book said do ......... so I will be fine".

From a personal point of view, I find being able to help others enjoy the sport and improve their skills to be very fulfilling. I hope you get the same experience from it.

Enjoy the diving and the fun it can give.

Hi Jennie, welcome to SB and the professional stream. My recommendation to all prospective and current new DM is dive dive dive. There is nothing like a variety of experience to help when you are responsible for other divers welfare. Rather than being someone who takes a course and then sits on their laurels, I believe in getting as much experience as one can, in particular by diving as much as possible in varying conditions from great to crap. This is the best teacher of all, and certainly opens ones eyes to the thoughts of "If I had 2 other divers with me now, how would I cope given the conditions", rather than "well the text book said do ......... so I will be fine".

From a personal point of view, I find being able to help others enjoy the sport and improve their skills to be very fulfilling. I hope you get the same experience from it.

Enjoy the diving and the fun it can give.

Thank you for the advice. It is very good advice indeed! I find the conditions here to be pretty placid and easy and so I plan on going home and helping out with my local dive clubs more difficult dives as much as possible to get that extra bit of experience in dealing with more difficult conditions. I really appreciate the advice and any and all is appreciated (bad advice may be filtered out though lol) So far I haven't been doing enough diving because I have been working my butt off, but that is another story for another day!

Welcome!

Hopefully you'll become an active participant! We can always use another voice in the conversation.

Ray

howdy and welcome from south Florida USA...good luck in all your endeavors...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom