Hello Dixie Divers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the board Hebron. If you don't mind my asking, who is the instructor that you talked with. Are you going thru Deep South Scuba? Bob

For regulators and bcd - My local dive shop supplies scuba pro - is that as good as atomic?

For regulators and bcd - My local dive shop supplies scuba pro - is that as good as atomic?

Scubapro makes great gear. I'd be perfectly happy with a Scubapro BC. I actually have a Scubapro Mk10+/G250. They make great regs. If you don't have a local dealer/service department for Atomic gear, Scubapro is a good alternative. If there was no such thing as Atomic Aquatics, I'd use Scubapro.

That said, Atomic Regs are better. Lighter, self-adjusting, lighter, easier breathing, lighter, dryer breathing, lighter, less maintenance, oh, and they're lighter too. With a Myflex hose, my 2nd stage floats in salt water (this is easier on your jaw muscles, especially after a full day of multiple dives). They breathe so easy, it's almost like breathing air, and they breathe the same at 10 feet, as they do at 110 feet.

Welcome to the Board!!!!

As your DDD Shark Representative, yes there are bulls out there along with many other species of sharks. I recommend this site. Just plug in the common name of the shark and you will get pics and other information on them. Florida Museum of Natural History Ichthyology Department

When it comes to gear...try before you buy. I along with many many many divers have discovered what looks good in the shop may not be what works for you underwater. Also your gear choices will adapt with the type of diving you want to do. Recreational, Technical, Hunting, Photography, and Cave all have different gear requirements along with many skills and dives to get to those levels. Take your time, get comfortable in your NEW SKIN and NEW GILLS and let your adventure begin. After that you can move on up to bigger and better things!
One day, you may even get to play with the sharks like I do! :jaws:

Hope to see you underwater!
Carolyn:shark2:

Like Glen stated, Hetland gave good advice to the best his experience and type of diving.

IMO, its a bit narrow minded... though.

Keep in mind what type of diving you'll be doing, what type of diving you'll be doing in the future(otherwise you may buy twice, or thrice) and whats available and servicable in your area. Try to find a diveshop that will allow you to try the gear out first, before purchasing.

I would by my gear in this order (the big stuff anyway):

• Mask, Snorkel, Fins
  • Dive skin
  • Wetsuit (3mm jacket and 3mm farmer john, in that order)
  • B/C
  • Regulator & Octopus (I recommend air integrated inflator)
  • Nitrox Computer
  • Weights
  • Tanks
  • Everything else

I would not buy a dive skin before a practical wetsuit as an actual wetsuit will get you in the water far more than a skin alone. I much preffer a jumpsuit, but thats my personal prefference.

Air integrated inflators are neat if you're diving strictly recreational, and not too entirely deep. They aren't exactly buddy friendly, you'll pass off your primary and breath off the integrated inflator(which can be PITA if you're stressed and have to make constant bouyancy changes). Out of my own personal experience, the air integrated inflators do NOT hold up to abuse(such as heavy beach diving) as well.

You don't need the best bc you can afford, they're all pretty much the same. Make sure you get something that's weight-integrated, and has good pockets. The rest is just gravy. Don't get back inflate if you plan to do any surface work. They're great for photography underwater, but topside they tend to put you face-down.

There's alot that can differ in BCs, from quality, to warranty, to replacement and servicability, style(back inflate/jacket/bp&w/etc), adaptability... If you go with a traditional recreational back inflate or jacket BC, I'd definately recommend weight integration. Pay attention to how the weights are integrated, some attach and release much more reliable than others. Back inflated BCs and BP&Ws are quite often, wrongly, accused of being poor on the surface. IMO experience, they work fine. Jacket BCs are often wrongly accused of being poor for trimming a diver up in the water. IMO experience, they can work fine. Go try out a back inflate and jacket BC, if you're going with one of those, get one thats more comfortable for you. The other option is a back plate and wing setup(BP&W), often WRONGLY associated as a cave diving rig only. This beauty of this type of system is how modular they are. You can swap out different aspects to be setup for any type of diving(single tank, double tank, recreational diving, technical diving, etc). You want pockets, add them, you want to stay cleaner, take off everything you don't need and keep a clean chest and waiste area. With the traditional back inflate and jacket BCs, you're pretty much stuck with what you've bought. Something breaks on a BP&W, you replace that specific part, not the entire BC setup. Alot of the weight needed can be built into the BP&W setup via the backplate itself, keeping it off your waist or other places that will end up creating less than ideal trim.

Get the best regulator you can afford. Atomic Z2 is where I would start, but the B2 will give you the best of both worlds. (T2 is not worth the extra $$$ though) I also recommend Atomic frameless mask, Atomis "smoke on the water" fins w/spring straps. You will thank me for the spring straps after your first beach or boat dive.

Lots of brands make great regulators, Atomics is one of them. I would not say they're the best, several people will argue whats best and you can read about them in the regulator section of ScubaBoard's equipment forums. ScubaPro is definately one of them(with a great track record, servicability, and parts availability). I mention ScubaPro because you say thats what your LDS offers. OK, maybe its also what I dive as well :wink:

Don't buy a mask based on brand. Base it on how it fits your face and how much of a view you get with it. Spearfisherman and technical divers usually go with something low volume and often frameless for various reasons. Everyone's face is different, finding something that will seal up and fit comfortably is the MOST important thing.

Spring straps are the ****. There are lots of fins out there, depending one the diving you end up doing, some are better than others. I enjoyed my split fins(Twin Jets) for recreational diving, but cannot do some of the fin kicks needed in technical diving, nor did they have the power to push me through the water with larger amounts of gear(or strong currents).

Oceanic makes the best computers imho. Get the Geo and/or Veo 100nx unless you can afford something nicer. Oceanic is good in that they stand behind their products 110%, and their tables are not too liberal or conservative.

Lots of computer manufacturers make great computers. I'd definately go with one that will allow for Nitrox. Look into something that you can replace the battery yourself. If you think technical diving is in your future, consider one that will allow for two or more gas mixtures for the dive. Find something thats easily readable. Alot of the computers you'll find are built from the same company and rebadged with different brands, so don't get too caught up with the branding.

When you get ready to buy a camera, find the best strobe you can afford, then save up another $300 and buy one better than the first. You can have a $3000 slr with a $3000 lens, and a $7000 housing, and I'll still take better pics than you because I have a better strobe. No joke. I really like the Inon D2000, but the Inon Z240 has all the latest bells and whistles and does not cost much more. I shoot a Canon A570IS with a hacked memory card, and a Canon housing. If I was going to buy a camera today, I'd go for the Canon G10, with a Canon housing and ULCS or Inon tray/arms. Ideally you would shoot with two strobes, but that's serious money and weight, and you need to be damn sure you want to take photos before investing in a second strobe.

Again, the camera is less important than the strobe in underwater photography.

Hope that helps.

-H

Cameras and strobes don't make a lick of a difference if you don't know how to use them. Not all photography will use artificial light. Most pro photographers will suggest you start off with ambient light photography first, master it, then move on to artificial light(strobes).

Buy a camera first, learn to use it. If you're only posting photos on internet forums, you don't need much. If you want to make large prints, a quality camera will be far more important. There are lots of options available, your use and budget should determine what you need to buy. No need to spend $10g to post photos on your ScubaBoard dive report. dSLRs have better sensors, larger exposure lattitudes, and far better quality per pixel. Don't get caught up too much into the megapixel race. The newer compact cameras are taking great pictures too, and may be perfect for your uses.

bcd should be serviced every 2 years (I think)

regs, including octopus must be serviced once a year. Most Atomic regs can be serviced every 2 years, but it's still a good idea to have them looked over once a year for safety reasons.

Check the warranty and service schedule for the gear you end up purchasing. Some BCs will need to be serviced every year to keep thier warranty.

That said, Atomic Regs are better. Lighter, self-adjusting, lighter, easier breathing, lighter, dryer breathing, lighter, less maintenance...

Read the equipment forums and you can find people saying the same for XYZ(replace with ScubaPro/Zeagle/DiveRite/etc) brand. There's a ton of great regulators out there, none are clearly any better than the others.

Try a bunch of stuff out, find out about servicability and warranty, talk to as many divers as you can and make an informed decision.

First off... Hebron Hill, welcome to the board.

I would by my gear in this order (the big stuff anyway):

• Mask, Snorkel, Fins
  • Dive skin
  • Wetsuit (3mm jacket and 3mm farmer john, in that order)
  • B/C
  • Regulator & Octopus (I recommend air integrated inflator)
  • Nitrox Computer
  • Weights
  • Tanks
  • Everything else

That's a pretty decent order on gear purchases. Tanks are a good last thing to buy.

I'd buy weights up front though... but only because get the ones that work with your BC. That and some shops don't rent weights as they don't want to hassle with them...

You can buy your reg and BC seperate, but chances are you'll get a better deal if you buy them together... you can flip the order of these two also.

You don't need the best bc you can afford, they're all pretty much the same. Make sure you get something that's weight-integrated, and has good pockets. The rest is just gravy. Don't get back inflate if you plan to do any surface work. They're great for photography underwater, but topside they tend to put you face-down.

I agree on the BC and that you don't have to buy the "top of line" (most expensive). but don't really agree that don't get a back inflate based on pushing you face-down. not all back inflates (wings, etc) push you face down, even when fully inflated.... Lots of user preference/opinion here also. (but yes there are some that might push you forward most likely).

I have a back inflate wing and I would rather have it than a wrap around jacket for example.... (of course that's just my preference/opinion also...)

Don't give in to on-line temptation for the purchase of your regs or computers. In the long run, it's much, much better to get those items from an authorized LOCAL dealer, this is especially true with Atomic and Oceanic lines. They really, really stand behind their gear, and will often stretch the length and breadth of their warranties for stuff purchased from reputable dealers.

I think you'll find lots of folks here that don't agree that you can't buy online. Some local dive shops just are there for themselves and not for the consumer and often screw the customer. Nothing wrong with buying online. Most online retailers are authorized dealers of the products they sell and both Oceanic and Atomic that are reference above allow online sales by their authorized dealers.

With that being said, if your LDS is a good one and is price competitive, then give them a shot at selling the gear first. but it doesn't mean "don't buy online".

I mean for example, any home town LDS doesn't keep every item in stock and doesn't carry every brand. Even though I buy 98% of my stuff at my LDS, which is price competitive and usually gives me better deals than I can find online, I still have to order some specific items every now and then because they can't carry everything. A good LDS will understand that also....

If I didn't have a good LDS locally, I'd prob be buying a lot more stuff online.

Wait until you're certified to get your camera gear. You need to be completely comfortable with your diving skills and buoyancy control before you muck about with a camera (AND ESPECIALLY A SPEARGUN).

Good suggestion. I'd wait until some additional dives are under a new divers "belt" before trying to add more "task loading" such as camera gear.

The Exception: Atomic Regs. If you don't like Atomic Regs, then you don't understand regs :D

Atomic makes great regs... some of the best... but many other good brands out there also... Scubapro and Oceanic have been mentioned and they are both brands with very good reputations. (Just saying that because the OP is a new diver and didn't want them to feel they "had" to buy one brand over another).

I've dove Atomic regs before and can say they are a fine breathing reg.

I mean...there can only be one type of fins right...I mean, a fin is a fin!:D

I think you're being sarcastic here.... because I learned my lesson buying "cheap fins" (that were the cheapest out there almost...) a new pair of cheap fins for me caused me leg cramps. I changed to better fins and the leg craps went away the next dive. Of course that's just my experience and everyone is a little different.

Scuba Pro is good stuff. Some would argue that it's as good as Atomic and some I'm sure would argue that Atomic is a notch above. Atomic is one of the "cadilac of regualtors". BUt Scubapro is also rated as one of the top regulators you can buy.

Chances are that most areas will have a Scubapro Dealer, but not an Atomic dealer..... so if you need an emergency repair on vacation, there are more Scubapro retailers out there...

The major complaint that you see people have isssue with Scubapro, Aqualung, and Atomic is that often their dealers try to sell everything at "full list price' and not discount any.... based on the manufacturer rules, etc... this is an ongoing debate you'll find in many other threads here on Scubaboard.

But if your LDS will give you a good "package deal", then you can't go wrong with Scubapro. You can visit Leisure Pro's website to see what "discounted" Scuba Pro prices might be for price comparison. (NOte that LP is NOT a Scubapro authorized retailer... so manufactuer warranties don't apply, but it's good to use for initial price checking before heading into a shop. ).

HOpe all this helps...

-Mike

I don't disagree with any of the follow-up posts above. All good advice imho.

Most especially, SuPrBuGmAn mentions mask fit. Personal fit of all gear is really one of the most important considerations in buying. A loose fitting wetsuit will allow too much water transfer, and can leave you cold, a loose fitting mask will leak, which can be beyond miserable underwater. A BC that's too large will ride up when inflated, which is unwieldy, and makes you look like a dork.

Try on as many masks as you can get your hands on. Find the one that offers the best field of view, and also fits securely, and offers a tight seal.

If your LDS has it's own pool, and they allow practice during your course, take full advantage of it. Buoyancy control is a very, very important skill, that is apparently not stressed enough in training programs (watch an open water class at vortex and you'll see what I mean). The best way to learn buoyancy control is by being in the water and practicing. I'm sure the cavers on the board would put me to shame when comparing buoyancy control skills, but pool practice made a big difference to me once I hit finally the gulf.

Welcome to the board HH!

My advice is to add just a little to GLENFWB's words of wisdom...
You will learn early on as you read through the Zillions of messages on ScubaBoard....that one thing my dad taught me IS true...."opinions are like butt holes (I cleaned his version up) every ones got at least one!"
I would add THAT THEY ALL STINK!.:D

We all have different preferences, styles, body types etc..
We have all bought gear that sits in the closet because it wasn't right for what we do.
Some brands hold up well in rough use some not so much.

You will have the same joy as we all have had - getting to do this choosing for yourself. You will make great choices and some not as good. The fun is trying different things and not going broke.

I have had great experience from some of my gear.
Sherwood regs - including an air integrated octo.
Oceanic Chute 3 BC.
HydroOptix mask (Has a few issues but I wouldn't trade it).

Some of my gear is/was OK.
Oceanic Vortex split fins are OK - I'll probably get something else when I replace them.
Sherwood computer - developed stress cracks and was replaced by oceanic.
UK SL6 light, good but Intova wide angle much better.

Rare gear was junk.
SunPak strobe for my camera was sent back 3 times under warranty - I use it on dry land mostly now. I'm afraid it will leak on any given dive.

Good luck on your quest and come diving with us often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom