Hello Chicago!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have more guts than I! I haven't dove-- but one lake up here. I was spoiled living in SO FLA, I can't handle the cold temps up here! How is the visibility up here? I couldn't see anything in the lake I was in. It was all green......ew.......:(

The visibility in the quarries is BAD!
And usually pretty COLD!
One thing I always remember is the day I was certified was June 10th and the water temp at 50 feet (Haigh Quarry) was 45 degrees!

I have never dove Lake Michigan, but I've heard the vis can get pretty good,
like 20 ft or so.
And the temps get can't O.K. too, from what I've been told.

We'll have to get you into some of the cold water!
It's a real eye opener!

Bill

Uhhmm my favorite local dive spot is

Florida. And I prefer even further south. Actually, I've been diving since '98 and never dove fresh water. OK I'm sure to get some grief. I do plan an diving Lake Michigan...someday, but it's low on my list of planned dives.

When I said let's plan a dive....I ment jump in a plane or car and point south. I'm going to Puerto Rico Dec.26 to board the Nekton. Expected water temp 81° , Sharks rather than Perch, and Vis is 100' rather than 10'.

Spoiled Diver.

Bob,

Now you're talking!
Sharks instead of perch.

I love sharks!

I'm going on a Great White expedition Aug 29th 2004.
If you're interested let me know.
I've got loads of pics and video from my last trip in 2002.
11 Great Whites in 3 days of diving!

To be honest, I dive in the quarries to keep my dive skills up.
Not because of all the cool stuff to see, like, oh...nothing!

I would love to join you on the 26th...it's my birthday...but I can't do it this year.

I was thinking about Blackbeard cruises (Miami) this spring.
Anyone ever been on one of thier outings?
Comments? Critiques? Let me know.

Bill

Here's one for you to see Karen.
My friend George took this one.
I think it's the best pic of the trip.

Bill

Karen,
Check out this pic by my friend Georges Lezaun.
It's the best pic of the trip
the last picture I posted was too big,
maybe this one will lok better.

Bill

Bill Fisher once bubbled...
The visibility in the quarries is BAD!
And usually pretty COLD!
One thing I always remember is the day I was certified was June 10th and the water temp at 50 feet (Haigh Quarry) was 45 degrees!

like 20 ft or so.

It's a real eye opener!

Bill

Hey Bill - welcome to the board.... I live and work downtown around the loop.... head out to the burbs for classes and finding decent LDS's. I've been to most in town and end up with alot of bad experiences. Currently the in-list is Adventures in Paradise, Underseas, Scuba Systems.

I don't mind the quarries or the cold temps - just got the drysuit and looking forward to diving all winter long.. :). I usually head out to Ohio to hook up with my brother at Portage, Whitestar or Gilboa. But Haigh can be nice. Let me know if you ever need a Dive Buddy.

Lake Michigan can be ify... I did one dive off Chicago and it was the pits... worse than my worst day ever in a quarry by 5x (Well - maybe not worse than Pearl Lake....) Folks have tried to get me to believe it was a bad wind day - the jury is still out - I'll probably give it another chance early next season for a trip to the 'Mac'.

Much better wrecks and visability off of Milwaukee - colder too. Just need a little more practice suiting up in the choppy water - plus the back roll entry six feet up is soooo much fun.

Bill....that picture is awesome. That's a framer. Wow
Where were you guys? Aug.'04 Got to consider this one.

I would like to do a Blackbeard. I'd consider a trip in the spring or summer. Can't beat the cost and convenience. There are many posts on blackbeard. Almost all positive. I almost made that my New Years trip, however decided for a trip that had hotter weather.

Karen, the Nekton trip is not a shark expedition, however they have guaranteed sharks on every dive. Dec 27th will be their second trip on the new itinerary to Mona Island. I guess the Pueto Rican Tourist Council initially said they couldn't dive there because they were "shark infested waters." Should be a fun trip, you should come.

Bill Fisher once bubbled...
The visibility in the quarries is BAD! And usually pretty COLD!

The vis at Haigh was up to 30 feet in June and July, it starts off good there in the spring, but by August or so the algea bloom and the vis is bad then. By July the surface temp is 70 degrees or so, and its in the 50's, almost 60 at deep hole, very nice.

Pearl Lake usually has bad vis early then gets better later in the season. Its probably about 20 feet now, but it will close after this weekend. Pearl gets into the 70's for surface in July & Aug and can be 50-60 degrees at depth.

Yes, it can be cold!

Or 40 feet. The vis can be great. In fact it has never been a problem on any of my 5 charters this year. One each month June-Oct.

In July and August it is really comfortable. Seems to be warmer out of Chicago, and cooler as you go further north. It was COLD when I went out of Milwaukee on the 8th. 45 at the surface.

Yes, try it! If you dress appropriately, you can be very comfortable. It is really a rush diving Lake Michigan with the Chicago skyline on the horizon. Some of even think its magical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom