Hello all...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon manifolds, if well maintained, are almost ridiculously easy to turn the valves

Mine are well maintained, but compared to my thermo valves (stage and deco bottles) they're like turning on the garden hose. :mooner:

The only thing I don't like about Thermo manifolds is how large the knobs are, particularly the isolator.

x2 OxyCheq Raider IV LED's for backups.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated. The list isn't set in stone yet so please let me know what you think.

Cheers.

Based on my own experiences, I would not recommend that light ... they have a history of being unreliable, and a backup light is something you absolutely want to work when it's needed.

The biggest advantages to that light are that it's relatively small, and very bright. Those are significant advantages ... and therefore if you are set on that model my advice would be to get one, and get a second light that has a more reliable history. In fact, if I had been able to keep mine working I would also have adopted the strategy of carrying a third backup light in my left pocket ... which is something I'd recommend anyway if you're going to be diving in caves.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The Dorcy backups sold by Piranha are fairly nice, bright lights at a very reasonable price and with a good burn time. But the Photon Torpedo with the LED upgrade is still a brighter light.

With what LED upgrade? Certainly not the one that ships from Gulftex (which is somewhere between "0-100 lumens" [http://www.cnsales.net/ptledspecs.htm]). The Dorcy is 180 lumens. I own both. The Dorcy is noticeably brighter. That said, I trust the PT *a lot* more than the Dorcy (I had one of the latter flood at 160' through the lens, though the replacement has been fine so far).

The Photon Torpedo is, by far, the most reliable backup light I've ever used. It's not the brightest ... but the LED version provides all the brightness I've ever needed, even in the dark, turbid conditions in which I usually dive (Puget Sound and Lake Washington). The only downside is that it's a big large. I keep a PT LED backup on the left side of my harness, and a smaller Salvo Rat Jr. on the right side. Although there are brighter options out there ... particularly some of the newer models offered lately ... I'll opt for these because of their proven reliability record.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have the UK SL4 eLED module in my Scouts and my PT. It's pretty bright.

Blackwood, your Thermo valves are easier to turn? Mine sure aren't. The valves on Zero G's Halcyon manifolds I can often turn with just my fingertips!

On the other hand, I like the big handles for cold water and thick dry gloves.

Rainer, that's good info about the Dorcy flooding at depth. I've only had mine in recreational ranges.

I
Blackwood, your Thermo valves are easier to turn? Mine sure aren't. The valves on Zero G's Halcyon manifolds I can often turn with just my fingertips!

Oh yah, it's like putting a hot knife through butter. With dry gloves (or wet gloves with grip on them) I could probably turn a bottle on with one finger.

Oh yah, it's like putting a hot knife through butter. With dry gloves (or wet gloves with grip on them) I could probably turn a bottle on with one finger.

Do you do your own valve maintenance? Even right after a VIP, mine have NEVER been that nice!

To the OP -- this may seem like a bit of a hijack, but it highlights the biggest problem with asking for opinions online. You're going to get my experience, which is limited because it's only mine. And most of us like the equipment we have, because we have it, unless we've run into a problem like the Oxycheq lights had.

I should but I don't. Even still, the same person who does my bottles does my doubles (both manifolds are Halcyon), and it seems that there is a world of difference.

I have one Salvo manifold and one Thermo manifold. They're both pretty easy to turn. I prefer the Thermo ... I LIKE big knobs ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

To the OP -- this may seem like a bit of a hijack, but it highlights the biggest problem with asking for opinions online. You're going to get my experience, which is limited because it's only mine. And most of us like the equipment we have, because we have it, unless we've run into a problem like the Oxycheq lights had.

No worries, this is great. Im getting a ton of info that's turning out to be a real help. That's why I love this board. Everyone else's experience's add up to a lot of helpful information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom