Hello all...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SurDo2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm just getting underway with the DIR way of doing things via UTD. I'm putting together my rig over the next week and this is what I've come up with.

Apeks SS backplate.
OxyCheq Vertex 55 wing.
Greenforce quadrastar P4D 17w LED as main light (Or 21w LED Light Monkey).
x2 OxyCheq Raider IV LED's for backups.
Tek3's for my doubles regs.
DS4/XTX 50's for deco regs.
Someone told me light monkey makes a good reg for a suit inflation first stage?
Halcyon 3ft SMB.
Dive Xtras CUDA 650 or 850.
HP steel 100's
HP steel 130's
Highland bands.
Thermo manifolds and valves.
40cf deco bottle.
6cf suit inflation bottle.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated. The list isn't set in stone yet so please let me know what you think.

Cheers.

Last edited:
You still need a lift bag if I recall... the XTX50s are a very heavy reg for a deco/stage and really pull the cylinder down IMO. The MK17 or 11 or whatever is much lighter and smaller and not far off from price. The halcon 3ft is nice but not adequate for open ocean marking like the 4.5 or 6 footer is. The bigger ones are also closed and can double as surface lift and survival floats too. Piranha manufacturing is selling thier bands for doubles for $66 right now which is half what the Highlands are going for and the one I have from them is nice. The Thermo handwheel is kind of large unlike the Halcyon or Dive Rite and may be a roll-off issue if your into diving tight spaces. These are some of my thoughts and I am sure someone will tell me where I went wrong...

Thank you very much for the reply. It's the little things like what you mentioned is what I'm trying to figure out. Thanks again.

Lift bag added to the list. Recommended size, brand?

I think that you need a 50lb minimum lift and if you are going to train with it as a backup for a wing failure make sure it has a top dump (opv). Dive Rite makes two very neat bags which you can see at Lift Bags and Marking Tubes by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express. I use Halcyon and DiveRite as I have found that repeated daily exposure on their material and stitching didnt affect them as it did cheaper products. I have a XScuba bag which I am using now to see how it lasts and so far so good but I think I like the bag where the pull comes down through the middle. The dump here is fairly high to easily manage the bag flotation.

2170066620100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

The drysuit inflation first stage sold by Light Monkey (formerly Salvo) is made by Agir in Sweden. You can find it and their other products here: Dry Suit Inflation. In general they make very high quality gear, but perhaps not in the volumes that Halcyon (et al) produce. A lot of GUE/DIR folks over here use their products with great success.

Thank you both. I appreciate the information.

I'd look for something other than the Oxycheq lights, in particular for back-ups. I owned a Raider 1 version II, and it was a decent light but with substandard finish and so-so beam quality. From what I've read, the Raider IV is known for flaking out. Not the reputation you want in a back-up :)

Henrik

I'd look for something other than the Oxycheq lights, in particular for back-ups. I owned a Raider 1 version II, and it was a decent light but with substandard finish and so-so beam quality. From what I've read, the Raider IV is known for flaking out. Not the reputation you want in a back-up :)

Henrik

Good to know, thanks.
Any recommendations for back up lights?
I'm assuming the Light Monkey backups are good?

Please keep it coming ladies and gentlemen. I'm getting some great information here.

Yes, sadly, I'd echo the recommendation for a different backup light. We ordered two Raider IVs. One of them came dead. It was returned for an exchange, and the second one lasted about two or three dives before the switch failed. The one that arrived working was by far and away the nicest backup light I've ever used, and lived for six months before the switch failed. I'm back to twist-on backup lights now.

The Dorcy backups sold by Piranha are fairly nice, bright lights at a very reasonable price and with a good burn time. But the Photon Torpedo with the LED upgrade is still a brighter light.

The Thermo manifolds are nice, especially if you are doing overhead diving, because the burst disc is recessed into a protective ring, so if you hit the ceiling, you aren't going to shear one off. Halcyon manifolds, if well maintained, are almost ridiculously easy to turn the valves, but the burst discs aren't protected, which is something that has always made me scratch my head.

Good bit of info there on the lights and the burst discs. Thank you.

Does anyone have any comments on Greenforce lights. They appear to be of good design and quality construction but I'd like to hear from anyone who's used them. Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom