Hello All!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I guess that I'm what you call a ScubaNuba (thought about using that for my username although, I wouldn't really want that name when trying to find dive buddies :eyebrow:) because I'm not yet certified. I have checked out my local dive shops, of which there are only two... but what can I expect here in Omaha, NE:rofl3:.

The most important question I have, as someone with no prior knowledge of such things, is which dive organization should I choose to get the BEST TRAINING? PADI or SSI? These are the only two local agencies/dive centers in my area and I'm not looking to do the cert/vacation thing. Thanks for the advice from all of you experienced divers out there:D

Welcome, first and foremost, I googled the differences between the 2 and found they are identical in training. I can't find out if there are any restrictions if you certify with one or the other. Are there PADI only clubs? Are there SSI only clubs? I can't find any of that info anywhere. Maybe as far as travel discounts, probably through your local shops. I have friends that have tirelessly tried to steer me to PADI but with no good explanations. I am currently certifying with SSI only because of the service from this shop. The other shops came off as a bit snotty like we all wished we could be like them......What's that all about? Oh well, I say, just train with someone you can trust and be patient with you.

Good luck

Both of the shops around here seem to be helpful and eager to teach. Although PADI seems to be the less expensive option when combining the two phases of training (pool and open water). I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to miss some valuable training that might save my life in a hairy situation. I've read a lot of articles on the web about shotty schools that just take your money, push you through the class, and what comes out on the other end is a timid, unskilled diver that lacks confidence due to lack of quality in the training cirriculum. :snorkel:

Talk to the shops around you, see if they are pushing you to join (being pushy) or see if their eyes light up when you speak the Scuba talk. Do they look you in the eyes? Are they constantly fiddling with objects while you are talking to them? Just go and feel them out, if you feel you re not getting the adequate training, make them teach you to be confident. Don't leave it up to them, it's your money, time and safety at risk. I'm sure you'd be able to figure everything out as soon as you get into class. Ask about their money-back policy if it doesn't work out with them. Believe me, they don't want to give your money back so they will do what they need to do to get you confident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom