Hello All

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there Yoda4x4 (what, BTW, is a Yoda4x4?)
Take your time, browse the forums (fora?) before making any purchases. There are lots of people here with lots of experience...even one or two dive shop owners, so make sure to strike up a good relationship with them and then stick 'em for a good discount! :D

AND HELLO TO YOU TOO, DIVEAUSTIN. IS YOUR SHIFT KEY STUCK? ANYWAY, HOPE YOU ENJOY YOURSELF HERE AS MUCH AS I HAVE! :eek:ut:

yoda4x4 once bubbled...
I am probably as new to this hobby as almost anyone. I've only gone diving 3 times. Two were part of a Carnival cruise excursion (Intro class) and the third was done by a private party. I don't have my OW certification yet. I'll be taking the classes starting in April and should have my certification by early summer.

I'll be looking at purchasing my equipment prior to taking the classes. Does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks for the warm welcome.

David

Thanks for the additional background on yourself. I just did back to back Carnival cruises for diving purposes. I was going to say I did just what you are suggesting ... I owned all my own gear head to toe for my Open Water class. I still dive all of it except the original wetsuit - but the current model is the same brand. How I did it was research, try-outs, and pool sessions. The local LDS (most of them here) allow you to try stuff out in the pool before commitment. Of course not all retailers are as lenient but it sure helps if you can find one.

I had one glitch - my brand new Oceanic hoseless computer flooded on my first Open Water checkout dive using it. So I took the animal back and traded for a Suunto Cobra - which I still dive. If you have money for only one piece of equipment make it your BC (or as you read and learn more on the scubaboard perhaps you'll want a BP - back plate with wings instead). Owning your own equipment as early as possible is a huge commitment to sticking with the sport - and diving even more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom