Hello all from San Diego-Newbie here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robotixfan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am going through certification right now and went to the pool to do the diving skills. Everything was simple except the taking the mask off with the regulator in mouth. Like all the other postings regarding this, I also had the feeling of drowning, which put me through a panic. I have been a swimmer all my life and never would have guessed I'd be that guy. I now think about it all the time since the pool incident. I was completely embarrassed and felt like I let myself down and the instructor. He patiently kept coming back to me and fill my mask at different levels and clear the mask. It wasn't an issue until the water filled up to my eyes and then the panic set in. I would clear my mask and then immediately had the heavy breathing for a few minutes after like my throat had closed up on me (Panic state). I was told to snorkel in the pool without a mask to get used to having water covering my face while still breathing through the snorkel. I have 2 weeks before I get into the Ocean and and practice my skills and it's killing me to think I might have to rip off my mask and clear it after returning it to my face. I don't have much time to do the pool thing because of work and wanted to know what kinds of techniques I can practice so I can become comfortable. I want this so bad, and I feel I will be scuba diving at least once every 2 months.

HELP, I need to overcome this stressful situation.

First of all. Normal is good! Cut yourself some slack! It's something new, and you will use the skill in your diving career.
Now let's think thru some other techniques. Are the bubbles up your nose a problem? Tilt your head and focus on the sensation of feeling them go by your nose....It's kinda cool and gets you focusing on something else. You are breathing so live is good!
Water on your eyes? You really can open your eyes under water....even in salt and it's just blurry....you are still breathing....life is good!
We had to just sit on the bottom in my class without our masks.....we learned that we really were ok. You will too. Trust your swimming experience to get you thru any sensations....as long as you have functioning brain cells (panic eats them, and keeps them from functioning)
allow yourself to feel the sensations on your face. It proves your brain is working and keeps you focused on "I'm ok"!
The big blue awaits you....trust yourself.....you can!

Great things to think about, alive is good and breathing is good too. Water on the eyes are not an issue, bubbles in the nose is not an issue. We first had to swim with just a snorkel and no mask and that wasn't much of a problem except the burning of chlorine in my sinuses. From that, I believe the issue arose at the bottom of the pool. I am going to the pool later and swim with the snorkel only and get used to the feeling of having water on my nose and still breath through the snorkel. I opted to hit the pool for one more day with the class before heading to the ocean class.
I do appreciate the advice and will absolutely think about this when practicing.
By the way, the water in Bonaire burns the eyes bad. Thank you again.

Welcome to the 'board!!!

Many of us had issues in the beginning.... I just about quit twice but with good advise and practice I am now addicted to the "underwater world". And I'm sure you will too.

When you get your c-card, feel free to drop on down to your new local foum and join our fun we have here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/

Hope to see you in the water someday soon.

Thanks dwaters. It seems most people will not admit to this fact. Even though I felt like I was once again Mortal, I never thought about giving this up. I am still as pumped up as ever to hit the waters. I did have another question, most of my diving will be in the So Cal area, would you suggest a full 7mm suit or the 7/5mm suit? It's funny how people say how warm our waters are down here. Then I ask them, compared to what? I guess it's all relative. Yeah, it's warm compared to Greenland!
Anyways, I work in your area all the time. I work at most hospitals from Alaska to Hawaii all year but the majority of my work is in San Diego and Los Angeles. Looking forward to diving with new friends.

Scott

Scott, Exposure suits are really a personal preference.... some people get colder faster than others. I wear a 7/5 but this time of year I add a 1mm top to go under the full wet suit. And a 5mm hood & gloves most of the time. We have 50* to 68*F water. Some dive dry year round and I have seen few persons dive wet 5mm during the summer. (If it gets that warm, I just take my hood off) Dave

Well, I did my first self pool session today. I was able to swim laps with the snorkel only with no issues so I get used to the water on my nose and not feeling like drowning. Until I went from horizontal to the vert position and all of a sudden, I felt my chest become tight and very hard to breathe. I seemed to overcome my panic until that point. I plan to hit the pool everyday until my next class to become overly comfortable with the mask clearing process. I don't think being in the vert position was a psychological problem.

You can take my advice, or leave it....let me save you some money. I dive in the same waters, and the only wetsuit that keeps me from freezing myself to death is:

XCEL - Polar Quad Density 8/7/6/5

XCEL WETSUITS || OFFICIAL SITE

Thank me later....don't fall for the Henderson Hyperstretch propaganda. In the same way that they stretch, so do they compress, putting you closer to that nice 53 degree water :)

PS. With regard to your issue, imagine you are sipping air from a straw, problem solved. Try it right now while you are reading this, see....easy hey.

Last edited:
I'll try it out, I usually do a bunch of research before I buy and was looking towards a full 7mm Body Glove suit. I'll check out the website, Thank you

Back
Top Bottom