Helium Shortage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have any statistics on the hydrogen filled blimps' safety record ?

Hydrogen as a lighter-than-air vehicle lighting gas doesn't have a bad track record.

However, I would not want to decant pure O2 with pure H2. That's just asking for trouble.

Hydroair as a heliair substitute though? That might not be so bad.

Does anyone have any statistics on the hydrogen filled blimps' safety record ?

It didn't go well for the Hindenburg...

The whole Hydrogen thing has already cropped up elsewhere, in (I think) a thread about a PSAI Narcosis Management course. French commercial diving company COMEX have tried hydrogen mixes in chamber dives past 700m (that's, oh, very deep in feet - I haven't had enough coffee yet). Apart from being explosive if there's more than 4% O2 in the blend (and that includes inside the human lungs, the COMEX guys were having to prebreathe a 4% Heliox before switching to the H2 mix...), Hydrogen is apparently also massively hallucinogenic. So you don't get narced, but you do get attacked by giant fanged bathrobes.

Deep air, anyone? Oh, hang, on, that'll kill you...

I wonder who will be the next poster to start a thread on deep air.....

Now that all the advocates of 30/30 for dives to 80FSW are reconsidering their plans, folks in Pompano can dive the Sea Emperor in peace :D

I'm pretty sure that it was intended as a joke.

Not at all. The lead hyperbaric physician in Houston at Hermann is Dr. Carolyn Fife. Her dad, Old Dr. Fife was an innovator of mixing and using hydrogen as a substitute for hydrogen in extremely deep commercial diving situations. Old Dr. Fife has a lab at Texas A&M college station. Unfortunately, they had to move Dr. Fife's lab out in the boonies cause he kept blowing stuff up.

Wikipedia Dr. Paul Fife. He did some cool stuff.

So how long would an average dive shop last before a tank monkey will make his first and last mistake in the mixing protocols and procedures...? :wink:

So how long would an average dive shop last before a tank monkey will make his first and last mistake in the mixing protocols and procedures...? :wink:

I'd say it would never happen but there's a "fill station" in these parts that is open 24/7 and works on the honor system. You can fill your own bottles with whatever is available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom