helium before diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90:
If I understand it right (sorry in advance for my english):

Considering I have no N2 in my body (and for the making the example easier my body is just blood).

If I get now 2.4 bar N2 (approx 30 meter). The rate of absorbation will be very high on the beginning and will slope in a round curve, thouching zero at infinity.

While the N2 level will start at 0 will increase fast to close to the maximal amount for that pp but getting it at infinity.

So when I start with 0 N2 (instead of my normal amount) I only safe that amount at the highest rate of adsorbation, so it is a minimal benefit.

Hope that english is understandable.....
Do you agree with my thoughts?
Michael
You have the essence of it.
Rick

fppf:
Do It Easy
You are very correct.
The shuttle's cabin pressure is 1 ATA with a 20% O2 80% N2 mix.
Before suiting up for an EVA they breath 100% O2 for a few hours to off gas, its basiclly doing deco. The EVA suits are at .34 ATA, they would get bent if they did not off gas before hand. Also because the pressure is so low they breath 100 % O2 during the EVA, even then there PPO2 is only .34 ATA.

They also are on 100% O2 during launch and reentree, incase there is a sudden loss of cabin pressure.

Stumbled across this thread by accident...Pretty interesting (the space shuttle stuff, I mean)

My question is, how on earth do you know this?

Back
Top Bottom