Helen Keller at Pat Mayse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Lake Pat Mayes is located in Lamar county near the Red River about 15 miles North of Paris. At 92321 acre-feet it’s not a big lake but certainly not a pond. The water level is down right now like most area lakes about 23%. Sunday it was over cast and 53 degrees. The wind was kicking up enough to blow your dive mask off the pick nick table. The water temp is at 48 degrees and the visibility is 2 feet at the surface and about 1 foot along the bottom if you have a strong light.
Hey … it sounds like a Winter Swamp Paradise doesn’t it !! :D
TexDiveGuy and I had planned to dive the dam but picked a cove just to get out of the wind.
It is no doubt a Swamp Dive. But, it classified as a drift dive as well because of the wind a person could make some darned good time on the surface. :14:
We kicked out to a no wake buoy and decided to go down together on the cable and meet up at the bottom and take a 230 degree course to the other side of the lake.
We both went down and did not find each other so we came back up and found out that there were 2 different cables on the same buoy. Alan was holding the end of his buoy cable.
We went back down and made our way out and down across the bottom. I have to say I was laughing like crazy a lot of the time because I couldn’t see squat! If a person would fin along at about 1 foot over the bottom of the lake they could just make out the bottom and read a compass at the same time. If you looked back to try and see your buddy’s light and the bottom changed… well they’re you were head first… deep in the mud. It was so soft that you could plow into it and be neck deep before you realized it. It was like being a midnight under water Ostrich. ’Read your dive computer ???? Yea Right….. It was comical.
Alan and I lost track of each other for a few minutes and surfaced to find ourselves only about 4 feet apart ( Too funny) Alan pulled out his cave line and we tied off 4 feet of line between us. I could just make out a faint glow from his dive light if I really tried at that distance. Somewhere along the way both of my lights went out. I don’t remember exactly when I just knew they were out when I face planted into the bottom.
I held out my hand towards the faint and nebulus glow of Alan’s light and waved. I wear camouflage gloves so I knew he’d never see them. The light came closer and bumped into my hand. Then his hand appeared out of the dark and felt around on my hand to see what it was !! I made a thumbs up and it was like a Helen Keller story as we did this blind hand signal thing. We surfaced and decided split up and head on back solo.
Near the shore the visibility improved to about 2 feet and with a bit of natural light it was pretty good seeing at about 7 feet deep. The whole dive was funny and lasted about 50 minutes or so with a max depth of 20 feet. The laughter made the water seem quite warm actually.
We’re thinking about going back there again in the Spring and dive the dam where it’s about 56 feet deep and see if that part of the lake is as funny as the place we went Sunday.

Nice report Timeliner.

Sounds like my local lake, Lake Brownwood. "Brown" is in the name for a reason! There is a bridge over Lake Brownwood that is about 300 yds long. Water depth under the bridge shouldn't be more than 15 feet. There is a channel where the depth might plunge to a bone crunching 20-25 foot. The vis however is probably measured in inches rather than feet. I have been thinking about doing a dive by brail under the bridge just to see (feel) if there might be anything to find. Maybe someone had the bright idea of throwing a gun, bag of money, bar of gold, expensive fishing gear, etc. off the bridge in their drunken stuper, just for me to find. I haven't been able to talk any of my dive buddies into doing this one with me, so I might be going solo, with a little boat support from a friend with a bum leg (and a nice boat with a swim platform). At worst I'll get to try out my new steel E7-100 tank in something other than my pool.

Hey Frank,, great recap of our interesting and challenging dive. As you said, this is def. a Texas Swamper Diver dive.....I had a great time!

Timeliner:
Lake Pat Mayes ... 48 degrees ... visibility is 2 feet at the surface ... 1 foot along the bottom if you have a strong light ... laughing like crazy a lot of the time because I couldn’t see squat! ... If you looked back to try and see your buddy’s light and the bottom changed … well they’re you were head first … deep in the mud. ... like being a midnight under water Ostrich. ... both of my lights went out ... blind hand signal thing.
Great report Frank. It seems unfair that you guys could have so much fun on one dive. :) Makes the 3-6' vis we had at Canyon Lake today seem quite good.

Willie

Seems like somebody we know told ya it was gonna be like that.....now you know why I don't go out there...LOL :D

Firefyter:
Seems like somebody we know told ya it was gonna be like that.....now you know why I don't go out there...LOL :D

Yea.... and I actually believed you too. :D I just had to test it out. It truely is a Swamp Dive :wink:
But, you know... there are cool Fossils out there ! I'm going to "feel around for them" and bring 'em home someday.

Gee guys! Sorry I missed the "Helen Keller" dive :D
Great write up Frank!

As always, you have a way with words.

Back
Top Bottom