Heisler Park fatality - Laguna Beach, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indication is a CVA
What does CVA stand for?

Cerebrovascular accident (CVA) is the medical term for a stroke.​

Which he might have survived if he'd been with someone else and in the city. I'd hate to live a life that required that tho. Do you know how old he was?

Shaws Cove is still my go-to spot when conditions are iffy elsewhere in Laguna and I'm looking to test gear or just get wet. It usually gets rough and loses its protection during a south swell. Other times it is "usually" fairly protected.

Sad to hear about this recent event. My condolences to the gentleman' family.

Sam

I think the convenience of beach diving and the very predictable conditions draw most local divers to Shaw’s Cove, along with the Beach Cities shop literally two blocks away. The two shops I was with took their students either there or Veteran’s Park in Redondo so the familiarity of those sites bring new divers back. It’s comfortable for them while they develop their skillsets and gain confidence. And those new divers don’t have to deal with a dive boat, you just walk in. But there is a lot more structure and marine life to see in Laguna, so that’s another draw. I’m sure you remember how the reef looks different every time you dive it down there.

As for the fatalities, it looks like medical events precipitated the accidents. Those are dice we all roll when diving or just in life. I agree with you though, the residents there are very intolerant of anything disrupting their lifestyle there.

As far as organizing, the dive shops there are too competitive with each other to organize. They are making money. I wish the SoCal dive shop owners could get together and have a collective voice but that ain’t gonna happen. When I started surfing in Redondo, back in the 70’s, we had a strong sense of community, picking up trash, being helpful with the lifeguards, staying out of trouble on the beach and the Strand.

I feel bad for those diver’s families and Instructors, there is going to be a lot of looking into the mirror.

Cheers

Indication is a CVA
Based on . . . what?? With all due respect, in the absence of even a preliminary autopsy, that's pure speculation. Could just as easily have been equipment failure, or he got pounded in the moderate surf (3-4' occasionally that day), lost his reg and drowned. No need to needlessly guess about this IMHO.

( I am the only survivor of the Battle of Laguna Beach which began at Shaw's Cove)

Were you actually a surfer at Laguna during the 60's?
If so, were you a member of WindanSea? If so..........then you DO have some stories too tell!:popcorn:

I’ve known Rich for a couple of years and was truly sadden by this news. I’ve spoken to
some of my other friends from Long Beach about what may have happened. All I have is hear-say so I’ll not repeat it here.
Best thing I can say here is what I say almost everyday to my students, “ if you’re not properly trained for it, don’t do it, if it’s beyond your training, don’t do it and personally, I never dive alone”.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom