Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alejanca

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Greeting everyone.

Exploring their OSTC line, all comments or comparison with other brand/model appreciated. Happy diving. Cheers.

I have the sport version.
And I'm more than happy with it.

It's super legible, and really logical to use.

The manual is quite detailed, and unless you're planning to go for trimix, Sport is perfect one.

And can be updated for trimix dives. But taken into consideration that if you're going to seldom dive trimix, you're probably going to dive it as bottom timer, so unless you're diving regular trimix sport is more than enough.

It's super compact, and it's quite robust.

I use it in conjunction with subsurface and works like a charm.

I compared it to shearwater, and closest is to peregrine, with the exception that peregrine is not upgradable.

So I'd recommend it.
Also the folks from HW and their forum are also quite helpful.

I have a Sport, and concur with everything @drakcheslav says.

The display is excellent, the UI very intuitive and usable. Sometimes it does seem a but quirky hooking up to Subsurface, and a few attempts are necessary.

I use it alongside my Garmin Mk2i, and as much as I love the Garmin, the HW is much easier to read at a glance. Pity it doesn't have AI.

HW did have a TR2 version was air integrated, but there was massive delays in getting the first versions out, and it appears to have disappeared from their website. Possibly some issue arose that wasn't worth their while pursuing to resolve?

Sometimes it does seem a but quirky hooking up to Subsurface, and a few attempts are necessary.
I had problems maybe 1 or two times, but it seems to depend on the Bluetooth radio in your phone/PC/Mac.

I found that usin it ove LE BT works much more stable.

Not related to question asked exactly but maybe helpful nonetheless.

Years ago I bought a Frog computer, their bottom model at the time, from HW. After a year it died, depth sensor gave out. HW asked I return it so they could look at it.

A few weeks later I get a parcel inside is a brand new OTSC, can't remember exact model, but was two models above my frog. Wow. As happy as I was with the service it was not a computer model I wanted, they asked I return it.

They then contacted me and asked for my bank details, they refunded total cost of the Frog and all shipping related costs, despite my frog being past its warranty period.

All this was done without any conversations, they just did it.

Absolutely amazing customer service.

Based in this experience I have zero hesitation in recommending them, they stand by their products with customer service that defies belief.

I compared it to shearwater, and closest is to peregrine, with the exception that peregrine is not upgradable.
I which way is the HW upgradable that the Periguine is not?

(Out of curiosity, that’s all)

I which way is the HW upgradable that the Periguine is not?

(Out of curiosity, that’s all)
HW sport can be upgraded with the trimix firmware.
I'm not aware that the peregrine can be upgraded like that.

Also, since the hardware and the software is open source, you're even free to download the software and roll your own verison with all of the modifications if you know how to program it.

To be honest, if you're in the states, go with SW. since they have much better support there.

But here, there are no representatives, and HW kinda solves a lot of the stuff online, or remotely with upgrades.

Also as mentioned above, they do try to help out as much as they can.

All this was done without any conversations, they just did it.

Absolutely amazing customer service.
OMG.... @buddhasummer that's truly impressive especially HW doesn't have presence here in the APAC. Thanks for the comment.

To be honest, if you're in the states, go with SW. since they have much better support there.

But here, there are no representatives, and HW kinda solves a lot of the stuff online, or remotely with upgrades.

Also as mentioned above, they do try to help out as much as they can.
Trust the open source modification requires some expert knowledge. In which area btw? Love to explore further. Been curious, where are you located @drakcheslav?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom