Height or width? Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traumadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am pretty sure that this has been covered in previous posts but even after searching I cant place the answer.
When sizing your drysuit is height or width more important?
I will explain. I am tall and skinny. I have been to numerous websites for drysuits and looked at the sizing charts. When they size for tall like me, 6'3, I have to have a huge chest like superman and a huge waist. I have no idea what my chest size is but it is small and my waist is 32, I think my chest is about that as well, think string bean.
So what should I do? I know some will say custom but to be honest, I cant afford that. I am looking on ebay for a used drysuit. A new drysuit costs too much new money which hasnt been born yet!
So what are your opinions? Am I screwed?

I'd look into a White's Fusion. The suit compresses around you, so if there is a little extra fabric, it doesn't matter. One of the biggest complaints I've seen from people who own them is that the legs are cut too slim for some folks, so it would probably suit you very well. I love mine.

So I take it with a Whites Fusion I should go for height then.
Thanks!

Both have to work. If the suit is too short, it will reduce your ability to move and that presents a safety issue in terms of tucking and rolling out of a feet up position in addition to normal issues like putting on and removing fins, etc.

If the suit is too large width wise, it has an excessive potential to allow air to shift and will be difficult to use.

So the options are a custom suit that fits or a Fusion that allows a few stock sizes to offer custom fit performance.

How does a whites fusion suit offer more leeway in sizing? TS&M said it compresses. Are we talking like neoprene wetsuit compression or does it have something to do with the air trapped in the suit?
Thanks

How does a whites fusion suit offer more leeway in sizing? TS&M said it compresses. Are we talking like neoprene wetsuit compression or does it have something to do with the air trapped in the suit?
Thanks

The Fusion does not compress in the same sense that neoprene compresses.

The Fusion is unique in that that lycra skin keeps the extra inner shell from flopping all over the place. Get the Fusion that fits you in height. (since you are thin)

I have a chance to get a dry suit that fits everywhere apart from its about 2 foot 30 inches too long... is it worth going for it.. how will it affect my diving?

L

Im sorry...what??? 2 foot 30 inches. First of all thats like four and a half feet to long. Second of all 2 foot 30 inches. Um proofread next time and someone might be able to give you an intelligable answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom