Heed my warning, learn from my mistakes.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got heart palpitations and tachycardia just reading your post! I once got tangled up in a thin but strong marker bouy line trying to untangle a dive buddy on a night dive and didn't have a knife =(... that would have really come in handy since I was breathing up the air supply in gulps. I can certainly understand the panic idea and need to be calm so you can think things through. I stay away from lines underwater and carry a knife now just in case. Glad you are okay...
Loretta

Years ago when I was younger and stupider, I snorkeld down to clear a fouled anchor. I cant remember whether I got snagged on a (then very macho and stylish) leg mounted knife or a finstrap, but I will never forget seeing half of my breath excape.

One of the scariest moments of my life.. just half a breath away from drowning.

Forget sharks, salt water pirahnnas, and giant squid...now the thing I'm afraid of is buoys!

Seriously though. Thanks for the story, and analysis. It's things like this that we'll remember when we're in the same situation, and survive ourselves.

My # 1 fear is mono. Fisherman routinely strip yards and yards of it from their reels and casually toss it. Its my monster under the bed.

Kriterian:
It's things like this that we'll remember when we're in the same situation, and survive ourselves.

what a great phrase, "survive ourselves."

i have been surviving myself for 38 years, and it's been no cakewalk, let me
tell you what :eyebrow:

H2Andy:
what a great phrase, "survive ourselves."

i have been surviving myself for 38 years, and it's been no cakewalk, let me
tell you what :eyebrow:

New Thread...Reasons Why I Now Take Life Seriously

Even though I'm not scuba certified, I always carry a knife with me in the water. Frequently in the keys we have encountered lobster trap lines from discarded traps, monofilament line from fishermen and various other snares. Thankfully I have played it safe and stayed away from such entanglement items. I live by the motto "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." Glad to see you are still with us instead of taking the eternal dirt nap.

Back
Top Bottom