Hederson Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DPS2

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

Does anyone have any opinion of the Henderson Arctic II Drysuit? I believe that it is a 7 mm neoprene suit... how would that compare to a 4mm cruched neoprene suit? (I am also looking at the Bare CD4 suit). I intend to start off diving this suit in caves but would like to move on to deep wreck diving... and money IS a issue!

Thanks!

I have tried on the Henderson suit. It's a very inexpensive 7mil. neoprene suit that is built well. The only problem with it is that it is 7 mil. neoprene.

I recommend - and most divers on this board would too- a suit that is a trilaminate(that is what I have) or a compressed/crushed neoprene suit.

Thick neoprene dry suits are bulky and have a great deal of bouyancy. They also compress at depth resulting in diminished insultating properties. In addition they are not as versatile as a trilam. or compressed neoprene suit since they so much inherent warmth you can't wear them in as many diving environments as the former suits.

Trilam suits are made of 3 layers(tri) of material, at least one being waterproof. They are sandwiched together to form one piece of material. They are becoming the most popular type of dry suit. The material has no insultating properites and only functions to keep you dry. You can mix and match underwear to the diving environment. The material generally has no elestic qualilty to it so the suit must fit loose to insure adequate room for movement.

Crushed or compressed neoprene is regular neoprene that has been put under immense pressure, resulting in it's bubbles and thickness being squeezed out. They are the most expensive suits and I feel the best option. They have minimal(depending upon the thickness of the suit-from 2mil to 4mil.) bouyancy and, since they are made out of neoprene are stretchy so they can have more of a form fit.

Opinions vary widely as to latex or neoprene cuff and or collar. I have skinny wrists so I prefer latex. Latex is more prone to tearing and has no insulating properties-so your wrists or neck could get cold. I recommend a shoulder dump. The other option is a cuff dump but most suits now a days come with shoulder dumps.

I bought my dry suit at Diveinn.com. It's an Aqualung Nordic Pro. It's a trilam suit. It's a basic, no frills suit. There are many many dry suit manufacturer's out there. If you can get a suit "off the rack" that fits you generally save a lot of money but some manufactuere's charge only a small minimum for a custom made suit.

Dry suits are the way to go in cold water. It has been one of the best investments I have made in diving.

Mike

The latest Rodales has a dry suit review - the Henderson Arctic II is reviewed. The pick of the bunch of the reviewed suits though seems to be DUI's CNSE suit (compressed neoprene). All suits reviewed were under $1000 US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom