Heavy feet in a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are actually foot heavy, I think that extending your legs to the maximum length should make you even more foot heavy. If you are actually head heavy (and foot light,) the same action will likely put you head down.

I don't think type of BC enters the equation, except anecdotally. The trimming process is the same, regardless of BC style.

I personally recommend using the least possible weight or flotation to solve the problem, and that argues against putting trim weight close to your CG, even though that could work. I'd seek out feet flotation if possible. Best solution to this problem for me has been floatier booties. You might try slipping on neoprene socks or putting extra neoprene sole pads in yours, or look for a thicker pair. The downside to this approach is that compression with depth could skew the trim effects of most booties.

Although I am generally in warm or tropical water, I use the thickest boots I can find. If I stick one inside my XL Jetfin and release it, the result is completely neutral (in fresh water.) I too cannot abide being footheavy. So step one IMO should be to cancel the negative of the fin using slight lift at the same moment arm (er, foot.) A light wetsuit like that with the average leg in it is close to neutral already, in my experience. In my case, cancelling the weight of the fin had the desired effect.

If I still had a tendency to trim head-up I would try very small wrist weights. Only if that was unworkable or inadequate would I use weight nearer the CG for trim. In this case of course, below and forward of the center of lift would be the preferred location, and the further forward of the CL, the less weight would be required.

My reasoning for preferring wrist or ankle trim is simple...moving either wrists or ankles then results in small changes in the static trim position. The ability to make small corrections is something I see as an advantage. It is true your mind will gleefully correct the body without informing you, so it pays to be conscious of this while working out your trim. Also, realize that as you rotate about your lateral axis (head up or down) the moment arm of the weight or flotation changes too.

Next time in the water if you have time and range to play with trim, take a couple of .5 or 1lb bags and hold them in your hands. Relax completely but move your arms fore and aft until you have the trim stable at your desired attitude. If the weights are forward of your chest at that point, you probably aren't "head heavy."

michaelb51:
If I still had a tendency to trim head-up I would try very small wrist weights.

Good lord, do they make wrist weights? I have never heard of them. Sounds like a real PITA, but you would get a good upper-body workout the whole dive I guess.

Jasonmh:
Good lord, do they make wrist weights? I have never heard of them. Sounds like a real PITA, but you would get a good upper-body workout the whole dive I guess.

It would be rare to need them. But 10 to 15" in front of the center of lift is a position where very little weight or lift would be required to affect change in the stable pitch attitude. At the ankles, even less weight or lift has the same effect. But to me weight is not preferred for tweaking pitch, lift is. Maybe a wrist cozy...

Jason B:
I'm sure that's why... :wink:

Bingo!!

:D

All kidding aside, I have a similar problem. I'll be lurking here to see what people have to say. It seems that positioning my tank higher, ans using steel instead of Al seems to helps a bit.

Looking forward to the other suggestions!!

Alex

When someone is head-heavy, they have a tendency to pull the head and shoulders up a bit without realizing it because they're not familiar with being perfectly horizontal... and since they're head heavy, getting horizontal means going head-down, and that feels very scary and unnatural.

So, the response is to keep the head up.

However, by keeping the head up, you're already keeping your feet down, and you're just going to go more head-up.. and it will feel like you're foot-heavy.

Try moving the tank *down* a fair bit.

michaelb51:
If I still had a tendency to trim head-up I would try very small wrist weights.
This is definitely not a DIR solution :shakehead

MonkSeal:
This is definitely not a DIR solution :shakehead

True I'm sure. Is there an official DIR apology?

Seriously, I failed to look at the threadheader before responding. I'll pretend to be dead, if you'll pretend to forgive me.

michaelb51:
True I'm sure. Is there an official DIR apology?

Seriously, I failed to look at the threadheader before responding. I'll pretend to be dead, if you'll pretend to forgive me.
I forgive you without pretending :D which doesn't mean you have to be dead without pretending.

Seriously, I can't see any contribution of such things like ankle or wirst weights. Usualy those are solutions for problems that don't exist or for the problems caused by other things (e.g. wrong equipment selection or poor performance).

MonkSeal:
I forgive you without pretending :D which doesn't mean you have to be dead without pretending.

Seriously, I can't see any contribution of such things like ankle or wirst weights. Usualy those are solutions for problems that don't exist or for the problems caused by other things (e.g. wrong equipment selection or poor performance).

I agree. To a point. The problem often does not exist, and it can be solved without placing trim loads at fore and aft. Adding extra weight at specific longitudinal stations for the purpose of pitch control may be a signal that you are already overballast.

Your statement can be applied to weight placed close to the CL, as well as weight placed fore and aft. My point is that when resorting to trim loads, lift is better than weight and less is better than more. By floating my feet a few ounces I relaxed that last erg of leg strain in hover.

My protocol is to establish the simplest equipment configuration which results in the center of weight below the center of lift such that the body assumes the desired attitude, and tends to maintain it without compensating muscular input. I apply and test this first on my self, then my breathing gear, then both combined. Added gear needs to be neutral, or hung below or above the CG or CL. The objective is minimum ballast and a trim bubble equal to the weight of consumable air.

Perhaps this has been or should be another thread, but now I'm very interested in how that compares to DIR best practice. I could never be too relaxed.

I wouldn't go for a floaty boots because they would work only shallow. During my GUE training I had the oportunity to see that almost every trim problem could be solved by proper weighting (almost always simple weight belt, sometimes STA or V-weight) and tank positioning. Legs postioning was used for fine-tuning the trim (as in "center of gravity" drill). Standard position of body can hardly be called "relaxed" but it becomes natural and doesn't make much stress to muscles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom