Heavy Current & Small # of Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YPink,
Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like you and your husband are well on your way to developing good buddy skills, and spending some of your surface intervals here at SB will be really beneficial!
Happy Diving,
Scuba-sass :)

FWIW, 200Lbs is way too close to 0, since not all regulators will let you get the last ounce of air from a tank.

I beleive that a lot of DMs get desensitized to conditions they dive in every day and don't realize that for someone who has never been to that depth or location it's quite stressful and even dangerous.

110 ft is WAY too deep without having any deep diving training. At the very least, it requires understanding that you'll probably get narced, and also will need to either plan your dive according to the tables (and dive it as planned) or have a reasonably conservative computer and follow the it very closely.

There are also a number of other changes when doing Deep Diving, from what you learned in OWD class, for example, an Emergency Ascent (bouyant or swimming) is a Really Bad Thing from 110', unless the alternative is certain death.

It was very irresponsible (although very common) for someone to just take you out and tell you to "go down"

Terry

PS. You both should have canceled the 2nd dive when he was nauseaus. Vomiting underwater is bad, since you don't want a regulator full of inhalable lunch. It could also have been a symptom of something more serious (which luckily, it doesn't seem to be).

The first thing you should always be concerned about is the personal safey of yourself and your buddy. Last on the list is money, since you can always go back and argue with whoever sold you the trip.

Terry

YPink:
He started off with 3100. He gave her the half tanks signal at 1500. They went back. He came back up with 200 after his deco stop. The dive was 16 mins. Honestly, I just asked him that and I am shocked that it got so low. I am never comfortable having below 500.

Personally since currents are the things that stress me the most I always make a point of asking. I had a rough experience when on one my first sea dives I ran into what I thought was a strong current and wasn't expecting it. Basically I couldn't keep up with my buddy and started to panic slightly. Had my buddy not been aware enough of me it could have developed into a full scale panic but it didn't and I learned from the experience. Now a little bit of current is no probs.

My advice, if they don't say anything, ask. I admit rightly or wrongly I assumed that the skipper would tell us these things before we jumped in but he didn't so now I ask.

String, how tall are you if you don't mind me asking. I have done dives where I have come out knackered and lower on air than my buddy (usually the same air consumption) because I have had to work hard against a current and when I mention it he laughs and says 'what current' what he forgets is he is a foot and a half taller than me and has legs like tree trunks whereas I, although fit, am quite slight and not a lot of leg which means 1/2 knot to some-one like me can feel a lot stronger than to someone like him :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom