Heating Pelagic MH8A (Shearwater) transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

  • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taimen

Rebreather Pilot
Messages
855
Reaction score
436
Location
Europe
# of dives
200 - 499
Today I had conncetion issues with one of my wireless transmitters. When changing battery for troubleshooting I noticed the whole transmitter was running hot (almost burning hot), especially the CR2 battery when I removed it.
Curiously, with a new battery it seems to work normally for two dives and doesn't overheat.
Anyone experienced similar issues?
 

taimen

Rebreather Pilot
Messages
855
Reaction score
436
Location
Europe
# of dives
200 - 499
Yes it was. It had been used for at least 50 dives without issues. I also didn't find any signs of water in the battery comparment. My surface interval was about 9 days.
 

taimen

Rebreather Pilot
Messages
855
Reaction score
436
Location
Europe
# of dives
200 - 499
Yes, quite surprising with a quality (Duracell) CR2 battery. Or is that typical in some circumstances?
 

dmaziuk

Contributor
Messages
7,784
Reaction score
3,875
Location
Tanoa
Even if it has a protection circuit for external short, I suspect an internal short would probably bypass it.

Check the manufacturing date: they have a limited shelf life. However AFAIK in non-rechargeables internal shorts are mostly caused by physical damage: you need to bang or squeeze it hard enough. If it's just been sitting on a shelf too long, it may not last, but it shouldn't fry itself.
 
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Top Bottom