Heath Ledger found dead in NYC apartment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, that's sad.

I am so not a celebrity follower, but even I had heard that he was having problems last year. Shame he couldn't find his way out in a less painful, for those around him, way. His poor daughter.

It sounds as if drugs may only have been the vehicle for a possible suicide if I'm reading the article correctly. We'll have to wait and see. It is difficult to think that a person so young and with a fair degree of accomplishment already in his life would feel there was no hope and commit suicide.

However, having suffered a "nervous breakdown" 20 years ago, and having been suicidal for at least 8 of the 18 months it took me to recover, I can say from first hand experience the drive to end one's life can be very powerful, frighteningly so. Fortunately I somehow managed the strength to resist it for so long and am here today happy as a lark (oops, maybe a cormorant since larks aren't known to be divers).

geez Dr Bill... im so glad you made your way thru it!!

i dont get the celebrity obession that seems to have infested the world, but i do wonder if living a life where money is in abundance means you dont have to get out of bed and function day to day and that means the slide down is alot quicker plus you dont have alot of real friends around wanting to put their hands out to help you out *shrugs shoulders*

Many of us went thru those dark times. And yes the drive can be extremely strong. Thankfully there are people and methods to fight it. Biggest difficulty is getting up the nerve to ask for help. Those who don't ask usually don't make it. Some of us had to ask in ways we rather would not have. Some scars last a long time. Glad to be a survivor.

I don't follow celebrity news much either, but a couple of tellers at the bank where I stopped after work were talking about someone who died so I asked who it was. I was pretty shocked because I knew he had to be pretty young. I didn't know he was an Aussie.

yep - Heath is a Perth boy, born and raised and moved to sydney when he was about 16 i think

but he was greatly misunderstood here i think. he seems quite shy and quite but that was mistaken by the media (and its believers) so most believed he was a bit stuck up himself

he built a FAB house out at Bronte Beach but couldnt live there as the photographers were hanging outside his house all the time so even when he was in sydney he usually stayed at hotels

Paparazzi should be considered fair game for whatever means are necessary to remove them from society. The shame is that the people who encourage them are the ones who have no life themselves so they have to live it through celebs. Standing in the supermarket I'm amazed at the people who buy the crap that they sell pictures to. I feel genuine pity for those with such a meaningless existence that they need the garbage to feel alive.

i was thinking about the paps the other day (another brittney thing on tv) and was thinking... back in the old days, a journalist actually had some creditation to call themselves a journalist

these days - any idiot with a camera or a mobile phone feels they have the right to step into your face and take a pic and call it reporting the news

considering the news hit here at 8.30am our time, approx 6.30am perth time - i can only hope his WA family found out with a phone call from family/authorities and not some reporter wanting a byline

Back
Top Bottom