Heated Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a link to a page I made when making my heated suit.

You'll notice it's pretty much the same as the Alberta guys for a reason.

It works great, and will last all dive easily.

I don't worry much as we don't change anything about the dive whether we use it or not.

As you can see it's not a pad, it's an entire vest.

Niagara Scuba - Heated Vest

Anyone know where I can buy the impulse wet connections in the US?

I'm gonna try and build some heaters!

Current retail prices for connectors direct from Impluse:
IE2M-7/16 - $35.00ea
IERD2F-BC-4 - $ 47.50ea

Thanks for the link Steve. That looks like a project I could handle. How is the vest working out for you? Has it been soaked yet? Not that my drysuit ever gets wet inside or anything.

On a related note, has anyone come up with workable electric hand warmers? Those little dry chemical packs don't seem to do much good.

Here's a link to a page I made when making my heated suit.

You'll notice it's pretty much the same as the Alberta guys for a reason.

It works great, and will last all dive easily.

I don't worry much as we don't change anything about the dive whether we use it or not.

As you can see it's not a pad, it's an entire vest.

Niagara Scuba - Heated Vest

Thanks for the link Steve. That looks like a project I could handle. How is the vest working out for you? Has it been soaked yet? Not that my drysuit ever gets wet inside or anything.

It gets damp occasionally and it just keeps working. I spoke to the manufacturer about that and they said they were designed to work even when wet. The example that was used was that it is a motorcycle riding vest and will work fine in the rain.

Clearly that doesn't mean 'swimming wet' and certainly it's not going to last long immersed in salt water either.

If people are getting soaked, it's time to fix the dry suit problem.

The project as described in the article has been working perfectly. I don't think I would have changed a thing.

Well,......maybe the mounting flat washers to something a little sturdier like the P-valve ones, but even that has been no issue really.

I used it this past weekend to gear it up for the upcoming months, and it was damn sweet I tell ya. I had forgotten how warm it is.

It gets damp occasionally and it just keeps working. I spoke to the manufacturer about that and they said they were designed to work even when wet. The example that was used was that it is a motorcycle riding vest and will work fine in the rain.
The Mossman had a minor flood of his drysuit and the vest wire corroded. We had to cut out ~10in of wire and resolder. It was close to being toast.

The patco pad doesn't have that problem, but then again...it isn't as warm. Pick your posion :wink:

The Mossman had a minor flood of his drysuit and the vest wire corroded. We had to cut out ~10in of wire and resolder. It was close to being toast.

Didn't it also short out and shock the hell out of him?

Good thing I equipped it with an ON/OFF switch huh? lol.

Barring that it has a pluggable. (or is that un-pluggable)

My poison is best served real warm. I can buy another vest if need be. When it pukes, I will let you know when and how.

This is diving, money is almost relevant. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom