Heated Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomx5

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess this is more of a question for Todd since he has the experience with this, however I welcome all input. Anyway, I'd like to get some information on the best solution to using a heated vest. I understand it should never take the place of a proper undergament w/Argon. However, as our exposures get longer and our deco times are starting to exceed 60 minutes, we're finding that we are getting "chilled" after about 45 minutes into our deco depending on the time of the year. Understand, the water in Tahoe gets cold at depth, but there can be thermoclines in certain months. We also try and limit our exposures in the winter too no deco or minor deco since the temps can be in the 30's-40's through the whole water column, but the rest of the year we really don't worry about it.

I've also heard that sometimes using a heated vest/undergarment can give you an odd decompression result, so I'd really like some info on if this is actually true. And if it is, is there a way to work around it?

Thanks, :)

I have a heated vest. I think its almost worthless for electric heat output. I figured it out once, its like 12W. Pah that's nothing. It is thick and bulky though and does offer a bit more warmth based on that.

If you want heat I'd look for something in the 50W range which will probably require a canister and an EO port on your drysuit. I have also heard rumors on TDS about wacky deco. Nothing very conclusive as I recall.

I guess this is more of a question for Todd since he has the experience with this, however I welcome all input. Anyway, I'd like to get some information on the best solution to using a heated vest. I understand it should never take the place of a proper undergament w/Argon. However, as our exposures get longer and our deco times are starting to exceed 60 minutes, we're finding that we are getting "chilled" after about 45 minutes into our deco depending on the time of the year. Understand, the water in Tahoe gets cold at depth, but there can be thermoclines in certain months. We also try and limit our exposures in the winter too no deco or minor deco since the temps can be in the 30's-40's through the whole water column, but the rest of the year we really don't worry about it.

I've also heard that sometimes using a heated vest/undergarment can give you an odd decompression result, so I'd really like some info on if this is actually true. And if it is, is there a way to work around it?

Thanks, :)

Casey and Reinhard would be the most able to answer this question. I don't know exactly what they use. If it isn't described on the WKPP site I would lob a question onto the gavin list. I know the stuff they use is run off of an external battery pack with EO connectors so it is probably higher wattage as previously recommended.

I am struggling with how much of an impact this would have on deco. I suppose letting yourself get cold during the dive with it off and then really heating up on deco might have ill effects, but I have never seen it addressed.

I am struggling with how much of an impact this would have on deco. I suppose letting yourself get cold during the dive with it off and then really heating up on deco might have ill effects, but I have never seen it addressed.

Anecdotally, peeps around here report "cleaner deco" on the lake dives with the bottom temps in the 45-50F range and 0-30 fsw deco temps in the 65-70F range or so...

The sudden change might produce an effect like a warm shower (there's a thread on the Ask Dr.Deco forum about this) but if you're at a stop for a significant amount of time i guess you should theoretically bubble and filter and wind up cleaner...

I use a Patco 21W heater Pad, powered via a canister on my waist strap. (I place it before the can light. If you look at my profile you can see it in the picture.)

I wire the canister to the pad using impulse connectors. (The other wet pluggable connectors (the EO ones) ...suck.)

I put in on my lower back (to heat the kidneys)

I haven't had any issues with it. (It might actually have saved me from being bent. I had to do some deco with a partially flooded suit in Halifax.)

The patco pad is nice because it can handle getting wet. I have seen Motorcycle vest used but if they get flooded...they are usually toast. (I know because I got my brother to fix one. He had to cut out about 10" of the heating wire and resolder.)

Thats how we were running them. The idea is that if it failed late in the dive we wouldn't have the scenario of warm while on-gassing and cold during off-gassing.

We had 3 people use them with good success on our Halifax 2006 trip.

Jeff,

Is there any chance of you posting some pics of your system and suit connection. Minne LaMotte can get pretty cold after being in it for extended periods. I have an extra cannister and pack available for this use, but I'm just not real fond of putting any more holes in my drysuit than necessary.

I use a Patco 21W heater Pad, powered via a canister on my waist strap. (I place it before the can light. If you look at my profile you can see it in the picture.)

I wire the canister to the pad using impulse connectors. (The other wet pluggable connectors (the EO ones) ...suck.)

I put in on my lower back (to heat the kidneys)

I haven't had any issues with it. (It might actually have saved me from being bent. I had to do some deco with a partially flooded suit in Halifax.)

The patco pad is nice because it can handle getting wet. I have seen Motorcycle vest used but if they get flooded...they are usually toast. (I know because I got my brother to fix one. He had to cut out about 10" of the heating wire and resolder.)

Jeff,

Is there any chance of you posting some pics of your system and suit connection. Minne LaMotte can get pretty cold after being in it for extended periods. I have an extra cannister and pack available for this use, but I'm just not real fond of putting any more holes in my drysuit than necessary.

Yes I can. The pictures may be on my home computer. If not, I can always take some more. :wink:

I will post them tonight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom