Heated Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's more to do with the size of the outer glove you use. I went up to a size 9 Showa just so I could wear two gloves inside them, thin merino and on top thick wool ones, add a bit of air to the dry gloves and I'm "toasty". I feel the cold by the way something terrible.

Santi BZ 400X (450g) with thermals under that. 7mm hood. 3 layers of gloves one of which includes fourth element. I have no wrist seals. :) My core isn't cold and shaking. It's just my hands. I suffer from low BP, low HR and raynauds. Any suggestions on heated gloves would be great since I've already done due diligence on the rest.
I, too, suffer from reynauds, but you should really start with a heated vest on your core, and then add SmartTex/SFTech/Santi/whatever heated gloves on top of that. How are your feet at the end of those dives?

I, too, suffer from reynauds, but you should really start with a heated vest on your core, and then add SmartTex/SFTech/Santi/whatever heated gloves on top of that. How are your feet at the end of those dives?
Any thoughts on the Thermalution Heated Undersuit -15M (Shortsleeve) I certainly know the concept of heating the core, but there's more and more research on increase in DCS with heated vests. Makes sense since it's like being in a hot tub while diving. Not to that level, but heating up will increase blood flow. I think that's my only hesitation, but at this point i have to do something about my hands.

Any thoughts on the Thermalution Heated Undersuit -15M (Shortsleeve) I certainly know the concept of heating the core, but there's more and more research on increase in DCS with heated vests. Makes sense since it's like being in a hot tub while diving. Not to that level, but heating up will increase blood flow. I think that's my only hesitation, but at this point i have to do something about my hands.

I use a Thermolution vest under my drysuit. Love it. Wanted a heating solution that didn’t involve a canister. A number of us here use them. The only issue is that they appear to be totally out of stock due to supply chain issues. Not sure about Venture.

I certainly know the concept of heating the core, but there's more and more research on increase in DCS with heated vests. Makes sense since it's like being in a hot tub while diving. Not to that level, but heating up will increase blood flow. I think that's my only hesitation, but at this point i have to do something about my hands.
Can you point to the “more and more research in increase” of DCS study? If you start warm, then batteries die or heat output goes down, and you freeze on deco, then you’re greatly decreasing your ability to offgas and probably helping you get bent. If you go from frigid, to blasting yourself with heat, your level of risk also increases. However, I haven’t seen (or heard of anyone studying) anything pointing towards an increase in risk associated with the normal method (heat off or on low on bottom, gradual step ups as you approach end of obligation) and would argue it is safer than starting the day warm on surface, and then hitting your coldest core temp and lowest circulation on your last stop. In short, the method in parentheses means you’re cold when ongassing, and proportionally warmer when offgassing.

As to thermalution, it depends on what you’re doing with it. The claimed output is errant, and you have the risk of batteries inside the suit. How long are your deco obligations/total dive length? The watthours would be far insufficient to keep me warm on a 2hr <10°C dive and you can’t plug in heated socks or batteries, but as we’ve established, different people tolerate cold differently. High sweat rate, <10% fat, Reynaud’s; I started cold water diving thinking I didn’t need core heat and heated gloves would fix my issues. The amount of heat any of the heated gloves systems put out (say Max 15W/hand) isn’t going to make your hands toasty, but a heated core and then heated gloves will continue to allow dexterity at the end of long exposures.

Tangential, if you aren’t already using merino thermals and have a high sweat rate, it could be a prudent investment.

Santi BZ 400X (450g) with thermals under that. 7mm hood. 3 layers of gloves one of which includes fourth element. I have no wrist seals. :) My core isn't cold and shaking. It's just my hands. I suffer from low BP, low HR and raynauds. Any suggestions on heated gloves would be great since I've already done due diligence on the rest.
I also deal with Raynaud's. Not the right answer but I have so far just dealt with it as I feel that not even gloves are gonna help me. Working on the WIM Hoff hand soak right now to see if that helps? Just an idea...

I also deal with Raynaud's. Not the right answer but I have so far just dealt with it as I feel that not even gloves are gonna help me. Working on the WIM Hoff hand soak right now to see if that helps? Just an idea...

Thanks! I'll try it!

The Santi heated gloves are good. I mostly do really, really cold (2C winter, 6C summer) dives in Norway, and have some old battle scars in my fingers (frost damage from years back). I think I have tried every thing to keep my hands warm, and the Santi gloves are the best I have found so far.
Of course, you do need to keep the core temperature up before starting to think on warm hands (and double wool gloves do an ok job for the fraction of the prize of the Santi gloves)
That said: The heated west and the heated undersuit makes you feel the warmth in a good way. The gloves do not - they just keeps your hands from cooling down. I do think that is because a lot of the heat is going away from the fingers. On really, really cold and long deco dives, I sometimes use a very thin woolen liner on top of the Santi gloves.
So do they keep my hands toasty warm on every dive: No, not really.
Do they work: Yes - they keep me warmer than any alternative, and will keep my hands in a working condition on a 3+h dive.

Back
Top Bottom