Heartburn near the end of dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unitink72

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Before my boat dives in the morning, the wife and I eat a sensible breakfast. Eggs, toast, juice, stuff like that. I remember from previous trips that I would get a little heartburn at the end of a dive but on the trip we just returned from it seemed a little more pronounced.

Basically the last 10 minutes of the dive or so. Wasn't super bad, just annoying. I asked the wife this time and to my surprise she said its common for her too. Also happenens on the second dive. During the surface interval I eat a banana or orange and drink a bottle of water.

is this common? Any quick fixes out there for it?

I have the same issue. I take a Pepcid, or equivalent, a couple hours before the diving begins. It solved the problem for me.
RichH

What is your body's orientation during the course of the dive? I have no medical credentials, but: - Being inverted or even horizontal can enable reflux, and the symptoms often aren't felt until some time after the reflux starts. There is a fairly large segment of the population who has an undiagnosed hiatal hernia (I was one of them). Now I make sure my last food was at least an hour before I submerge, and I no longer go upside down. ymmv

I don't have the problem, but I do have a suggestion and a medical credential :)
1) A lot of people who have reflux are overweight. So if your BMI is up, loose some weight.
2) Eat less before the dive. Just some toast and water. Eat breakfast after the first dive, lunch after the second and so on. Especially leave out fatty stuff and the egg.

"Gulping air" (swallowing air) is quite common in new divers. Doing so will aggravate heartburn.

Try doing a couple of realy slow, no stress dives to see if the condition improves. Nix the eggs, oatmeal seems to work better.

The medical definition of a hernia is when an organ occupies a space where it does not belong. In the case of a hiatal hernia specifically the stomach pushes up through the diaphragm and is in the chest/thoracic cavity. How much of the stomach pushes through determines if it is mild (small portion) or moderate to severe (larger portion). Generally speaking, however, it may contribute to heartburn symptoms but in and of itself won't cause heartburn symptoms.

The more correct terminology for heartburn is gastro-esophageal reflux disorder or GERD for short. That is when the lower esophageal sphincter is relaxed and allows stomach acid to reflux back up into the esophagus. Most commonly the patient will experience this as the classic complaints of heartburn.

A very quick and effective therapy for heartburn is an over the counter antacid such as Mylanta, Tums, Rolaids, etc. Even Pepto Bismol will work. If you opt to use one of the pills such as Pepcid, Zantac, or Prilosec you must take them hours before the dive since they don't neutralize the acid more decrease the production of acid. Once your symptoms start they (the pills) won't immediately relieve the symptoms. At that point you are better off with the antacids.

For the average patient heartburn on occasion is not much of an issue, especially if you only take or experience symptoms infrequently. If, however you are taking medications more often than less often you really should see a doctor. Especially if you have been taking medications daily over several months.

Ironically eating before a dive will both help and worsen the symptoms of heartburn. It helps by neutralizing the stomach acid just by the presence of the food in the stomach. But, with increased pressure from wetsuits (and if the person is overweight) then the stomach contents are more likely to reflux with the acid hence causing the heartburn.

When I used to drink I would get heartburn more frequently diving. If I don't drink any alcohol the night before diving, I can eat a pepperoni pizza on the boat before a dive and won't get heartburn.

Free diving is another story. I can't eat anything within 4 hours of diving or I will get bad heartburn going up and down.

Im 6' 1" 180 pounds and get heart burn quite frequently when on dive trips and during dives. Personally I just think its from all the Mexican food :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not overweight, and the wife is too thin if anything so that shouldn't be the problem.

We are both usually horizontal while diving. I recall that a few times going from horizontal to vertical almost made it worse for a short period of time.

I need breakfast in the morning, so dealing with a little heartburn is a better option than not eating much for me. Since it would be pretty hard to take a pill at depth once it happens, seems like Pepcid or equivilent will be the next thing I try. thanks for all the info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom