Heart Tachycardia & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I haven't been able to dive for a very long time now. As for my last dive in the Bahamas, all I could feel and hear was how fast my heart was pounding. This has never happened to me before.

I have been having chest pains and went to the cardiologisit for a check up. Exam results were all good except that my heart rate is to fast up to 140 even when I'm resting. I will be monitored for another three months before she puts me on medication.

Is it a contradiction to dive with this condition heart tachycardia?:confused: I would really love to go back to diving as I miss it so much!! :shakehead:

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Izette (Lilo)

Izette, there simply is not enough information here to make a reasonable recommendation.

A resting heart rate of 140 is highly abnormal. Either the rhythm itself is abnormal, or something in your physiology is driving your heart at an abnormal rate. These things can range from simple hyperthyroidism to adrenal tumors, and until the workup is complete and the answer is known, it's probably not possible to predict the natural history of the process.

As much as it would pain me to refrain from diving for several months, in your case, I would do it. But your physician really ought to be doing a diligent search for the cause of your tachycardia, rather than simply waiting to put you on meds.

I have had the following exams done: EKG (abnormal); Stress Test (couldn't finish because within 3 min of the test my heart rate went up to high and the Dr. did not want to continue); Heart ultrasound (normal); Heart Monitor for 24 hrs (abnormal but no reason to be alarmed). Dr. thinks I'm out of shape a little and wants me to exercise 4 times during the week, to see if that helps and if I continue to have the same symptoms, then she will place me on medications.

Also, I had blood work done and all was OK except for my Triglycerides was 300 and I now I'm taking Tricor 145gm. Oh and my sugar level is borderline of me being diabetic.

I maybe just a little bit overweight about 25lbs and my height is 5'3. So, I guess I shouldn't dive until the Dr. figures out the reason of my heart rate?

Thanks!

:shakehead::shakehead::(:depressed: Thanks for your feedback....I guess I will start selling all of my diving equipment. This is so depressing!!!!:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom