Heart Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know how to figure my max and the % rates that are optimal for cardio training but I have a question and am hoping an expert is here. I take beta blockers. Is there any formula for figuring an equivalent max rate? If I get up to 140 bpm I can really tell it. I try to keep it around 130 max.

The formula that I use is:

220 - (age) = max. heart rate

Try to get to 50 to 85% of the max.

If your taking beta blockers, then you really need to talk with your doctor {who is probably telling you to exercise anyway} about the effects of beta blockers and actually reading your heart rate. You may also want to talk with a personal trainer, one who has experience with this, to get you started in the right direction. This is not something you really want to be messing with.

AggieDad:
I know how to figure my max and the % rates that are optimal for cardio training but I have a question and am hoping an expert is here. I take beta blockers. Is there any formula for figuring an equivalent max rate? If I get up to 140 bpm I can really tell it. I try to keep it around 130 max.

Diver Daver has spoken with absolute wisdom. Keep in mind that many betablockers prevent you from going past certain heart rate, regardless of how hard you work. In this instance, it is wise to disregard the typical heart rate formula (which is a flawed concept anyway) and go more by how hard the work is (this is known as Perceived Rate of Excertion).

PREs come in two popular scales one from 1 to 10 and the other from 6 to 20. Whichever is used is up to the recommendation of your doctor and the judgment of your exercise physiologist/counselor.

Again, Diver Daver emphasized speaking with your doctor, the side effects, and the approach that should be taken.

The good news is that with continuous exercise, you may need less of the prescription in the future, and eventually not need it at all. I have seen many people achieve that.

Good luck and happy diving

AggieDad:

I like your avatar. A 757 B?.... Your profile said that you are pilot for a small company? Isnt UPS the largest airline in the world.

northen diver:
I like your avatar. A 757 B?.... Your profile said that you are pilot for a small company? Isnt UPS the largest airline in the world.

No it is a MD-11. A "modernized" version of the DC10. UPS is actually the 7th largest airline worldwide. Officially we are a small package carrier with a little large cargo. We carry LOTS of small packages. :D

coach_izzy:
Diver Daver has spoken with absolute wisdom. Keep in mind that many betablockers prevent you from going past certain heart rate, regardless of how hard you work. In this instance, it is wise to disregard the typical heart rate formula (which is a flawed concept anyway) and go more by how hard the work is (this is known as Perceived Rate of Excertion).

PREs come in two popular scales one from 1 to 10 and the other from 6 to 20. Whichever is used is up to the recommendation of your doctor and the judgment of your exercise physiologist/counselor.

Again, Diver Daver emphasized speaking with your doctor, the side effects, and the approach that should be taken.

The good news is that with continuous exercise, you may need less of the prescription in the future, and eventually not need it at all. I have seen many people achieve that.

Good luck and happy diving

I will check into the PRE that you spoke of. I did set down with my doctor and discussed this with him and he said basically just work as hard as I feel necessary and to listen to my body. Forget the heart rate schedules and just work until I feel like I need to back off slightly and that is my max. Getting off this stuff is my goal. I have two grand kids now and I want to live a long time for them. It is sadly funny that it takes a serious problem sometimes to wake us up.

AggieDad:
...and just work until I feel like I need to back off slightly and that is my max...

That pretty much sums up what RPE is all about :) The nice thing is that as your tolerance improves, what feels like a 10 now (on a scale from 1 to 10) will feel like a 6 a few months down the road (provided that you stay consistent that is).

I wish you the best of luck, and please let us know how it goes.

Sounds like you are on the right road. Let us know how it goes, and just ask if you have any other questions.

Just curious but which med are you on? I am taking Coreg Mg twice a day and find it dang near impossible to get above 110-112 beats per minute. In fact my rpms on the life cycle often exceed my heart rate. I was wondering if you were having similar results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom