Heart Condition Risks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had intermittent atrial fibrillation for years now. It hasn't been a problem for me when it comes to diving though and both my GP and my cardiologist have given me a thumbs up.

His medications might be something to think about though. BP medicine and beta-blockers often have the side effect of making you light headed or dizzy and diving can induce vertigo. There's an important difference between them though. You can be so dizzy you don't know which way is up and you have to puke, but you won't faint. Being lightheaded on the other hand can be a precursor to fainting. Fainting under water would be very, very bad. If his medications make him lightheaded, make sure he brings it up with his doctor.

UPDATE: so my dad had a nuclear stress test and an echocardiogram and everything is fine. no medications and no restrictions for diving. let the countdown to fiji begin!!

Good news. Diving is a great family activity, my sons are my dive buddies. Be sure to give us a trip report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom