Heading to Tioman Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucky Man

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone
My wife and I are heading for the first time to Tioman Island for a couple weeks the beginning of March, we will be staying at The Berjaya Resort. The on-site dive shop is the Berjaya Tioman Dive Shop, tried to look them up on the web but they do not have a site. If anybody has recently visited the area and have any suggestions on diving or other activities around Tioman please let me know the lowdown on the Island.
Thanks

Diving in Tioman is really good, my wife and i travel to Tioman about 6 times a year as we live in Malaysia. We normally dive with Tioman Dive Centre which is run by a British lady and they are very professional over there. Apart from beautiful beaches and marine ecosystems, Tioman has also been gazetted as a wildlife reserve by the state government to protect its flora and fauna. Most of the island is covered by tropical rainforest. Walking over the island through the jungle is a popular activity for visitors. There are 138 species of birds recorded on the island, the most common of which is the hill myna.

The reefs around Tioman and the neighbouring islands have many varieties of coral and tropical reef fish, as well as larger species such as turtles and sharks. The rare giant clam is also found here, buts its really rare!!!

Ive never stayed at the Berjaya resort before, but im sure they will be able to arrange for the jungle trekking trips. The island is small , you can rent bicycles to get around or just walk. Im going to Tioman on Feb 18th, cant wait. Hope you have a good holiday.

Thanks for getting back to me cudaboy. Have a great trip.

I visit Tioman frequently but have only dived with Berjaya once. It's more of a resort that happens to have a dive shop than a dive resort. I suggest staying at Berjaya but diving with one of the shops over the hill in Tekek village. It's only a 15 minute walk or so on a paved road through the jungle and the shops at Tekek are "real" dive shops. Tioman Reef Divers and Tioman Dive Centre are two that I would recommend. I think B&J have a centre there too although their main shop is up in Salang.

other activities in Tioman includes trekking and visiting Mukut waterfall (southern side of Tioman - a water taxi will get you there). But do be careful if it is raining as it may get dangerous.

Try the food at Genting Village. The prata (prata Bomb or banana prata) is really good over there! The prata shop is located at the building next to the jetty.

I stayed at the Brejaya resort about 12 years ago and dove with the on-site operation. It was one of my first dive trips and I've always wanted to go back to see whether or not the diving was really as good as I remember it being. I had no gear in those days but the rental equipment was seriously like brand new. The boat we dove from seemed more like a fishing "john boat" than anything else but it was comfortable for the conditions we were diving. I was diving with a bathing suit and t-shirt and quite comfortable, even on night dives. We didn't do much more than dive - a little golfing at the resort. Please give us a good trip report when you return!

Hi Everyone
My wife and I are heading for the first time to Tioman Island for a couple weeks the beginning of March, we will be staying at The Berjaya Resort. The on-site dive shop is the Berjaya Tioman Dive Shop, tried to look them up on the web but they do not have a site. If anybody has recently visited the area and have any suggestions on diving or other activities around Tioman please let me know the lowdown on the Island.
Thanks

Hi,

I thought I would add a little info to the good advice you have already received. I've stayed at most of the Berjaya resorts, and although Tioman is not quite as nice as their resorts on Redang or Langkawi, it's still quite comfortable. I met the guys who were running the dive shop at Berjaya Tioman when I stayed there in the Spring about a year ago, but I didn't dive with them so can't comment on their proficiency. But as others have mentioned, there are several established, professionally-run dive operations easily available to you in Tekek, ABC, or Panuba, if you want branch out a bit. Personally, because I prefer to meet and dive with as many locals as I can, so I tend to search beyond the main shops, with their constantly-changing cast of young foreign dive masters. There are some experienced and competent local divers in Tekek, ABC, and Juara, and they can be found (ask locals), if you're looking for a little more laid-back approach to business and don't want to risk getting lumped into a PADI class of tourists that might be running out of the other shops.

So, my suggestion is that you don't spend all your time at the resort :). If you do you will miss much of the island's charms. At first, the road in Tekek makes it appear somewhat hectic. But having been to the island many times, it's now my favorite village and a good base for exploration. For example, ABC is just a short walk over a hill from the Marine Park (making it a nice place to go for dinner in the evening), and Panuba is also just a short hike over another hill from ABC (maybe a nice place to have lunch). So you see, from your base at the Berjaya, you actually have easy access to three other places. And now that the new road over the mountains has been completed, you are also just a short ride in the back of a truck to Juara. It is certainly worth a day trip, especially if you are capable of hiking back (if not, use the truck taxi again).

Oh, one more thing. Sand flies; tiny creatures with a very irritating bite. Sometimes they are more of a problem than others, but I think they are always around during daylight hours, in all seasons. So don't let them ruin your vacation. None of the repellants sold on the island work, so bring the best you can get in Canada/Florida with you. Your best defense is to keep moving if they are around, or cover up (long sleeves and long pants). When I was on Tioman last September, one of the locals who works at the Berjaya told me about one of their guests who had got bitten so badly she had to go to the hospital. Most foreigners will get an allergic reaction to the bite. I have found a product available in the U.S., called After Bite (contains ammonia), to be effective at reducing the itch and necrosis caused by bacteria in their bite.

Regards,
John

Lucky Man..i love your handle. I dive often at Tioman but I have never stayed at Brejaya resort. Please let us know your thoughts about the place after your visit as I would all love to hear your impressions. As for Tioman, the reef has improved over the past 4 years (my view) and like the reefs around the island a lot. Best wishes for a nice trip.

Does the magical Avon Skin So Soft work in repelling the sand flies? I hate the oily feeling and smelling like a newborn baby is not the manly odor I prefer but it sure beats being the main course at the mosquito buffet ... never tried it on sand flies but it be worth a $3 try

Back
Top Bottom