Heading to Maui!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RUKEDOG

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wanted some input on dive companies in Maui.
Heading there in February, I,m an advanced diver with Nitrox cert...
Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Check the Hawaii forum. That said, I've used Ed Robinson's for three trips and they've always delivered. Extended Horizons out of Lahaina is more convenient for the northern hotels and we had great diving with them over on Lanai.

If you want some guided shore dives day and night give Shaka Divers a call they are very reasonable rate wise and very colorful full of knowleged of the area and well just fun to dive with. We dove with Maui Dreams out at Molikini on the inside as well as a second dive off of Wailea and had lots of fun with them as well. Hope this helps

I second the idea of checking in the Hawaii Forum: Hawai'i 'Ohana

That being said, the last time I was there, I went with B&B for Molokini, but got blown out. Two pretty good dives anyway, though.

I'm going next week (3rd - 10th) and plan on using B&B again as well as Lahaina Dive Shop for a trip to Lanai. I'll post the results after the trip.

Pete

Ed Robinson's does a 3-tank Advanced dive 3 days a week. Twice a week Lahaina Divers does a 2 tank to Molokai - it's advanced and you should see Hammerheads - not sure if they go in Feb. Do the Molokini Backwall also - you'll likely hear the Humpbacks singing.

moved to the Hawaii forum.

My wife and I used Ed Robinson for a solid week Christmas of 2009. I thought it was a great operation. The crew was extremely helpful with anything we needed to do on the island. Ed came out for one trip with us as a diver. You arrive at the parking lot, the crew sets up your gear while on land, the launch the boat just about day break. The ocean gets a bit rough later in the day due to the winds. Over Christmas we saw whales and heard them constantly while diving. I would dive with them again.

We just got back from diving with Ed Robinson's for 2 weeks, and in our 6th year of diving with them, we weren't disappointed in the least! I recommend them whole heartedly. They depart out of the Kihei boat ramp with a 6:30 check-in time.

Besides doing a regular 2-tank charter every day of the week, they also do 3-tank charters on Tuesdays and Fridays, and Adventure charters on Sundays and Wednesdays. The 3-tank and Adventure charters are geared specifically for the experienced diver and Ed is almost always on the boat on the Wednesday charter.

However, c-cards alone should not determine whether you're an experienced diver for these charters. You'll want experience in doing mid-water safety stops (no line) and feel comfortable boarding a live boat in sometimes challenging water. You'll also want to be comfortable going to 110 feet since there is one site Ed likes to go to that is 110 foot square profile dive.

I also recommend Maui Dreams and Shaka Doug for shore diving in S. Maui, as well as Makena Coast Charters and B&B for boat diving from the Kihei boat ramp. We choose to dive with Lahaina Divers to Lanai as the crossing can be rough and the big 46' Newtons handle the rough water very well. It is a trade-off for us as they can have up to 24 divers on the boat and they cater to the beginning or vacation diver vs. the experienced diver.

February is a great time to go as that's full-on whale season! Not only will you be treated to lots of topside sightings, but you'll be able to hear them sing underwater. If you're lucky (like we've been), you'll even have an underwater sighting...super cool! :D

Will you be here for Whale Day? Maui's funnest outdoor festival! Middle/third Saturday of February starts off with a cool parade and then a day of food, fun, music and whale action!!! Right in downtown Kihei!! The one day a year that I refuse to dive!!

Just got back from Maui and did several dives with the Scuba Shack and Ed Robinson out of Kihei. Scuba Shack seemed to be more organized with their 5:45am (!) departure, a quick run across to Molokini, great dive guides, two dives at sites selected by the onboard customers based on experience, preference etc. and home by 10am. Ed Robinson had some good guides but the small boat took a while to get orientated on some of the sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom