heading to Maui in April - questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDebbie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So we're finally heading back to Maui this April with the intent to do a lot of shore diving. We may do 1 day of boat diving.

We were in Maui years ago in Nov/Dec 2005, and at that time did some amazing boat dives to Molokini back wall and over to Lanai. We also did some great shore diving, but found some days and sites difficult due to swells and surf. I'm hoping (after talking to people who have been at this time and other times) that April will present calmer waters. I know there's no predicting, and that conditions vary around the island so question one is:

Is there a good source for checking the conditions in the mornings when when we get up, before we head out?

The next question is regarding sites. We have "The Divers' Guide to Maui" but it was published in 2001, so I'm wondering...

Is there's anything newer? I guess in most cases sites won't change, but do you know of any that have? i.e sites that are no longer accessible, or perhaps new ones?

The next question is regarding who to use. Last time we had our 10 fill cards with Maui Dive Shop for the convenience of shops around the island, but their service was definitely hit and miss, and sometimes no tanks available. I see that B&B does fill cards, but we're staying in Napili Bay, so I'm not sure that will be so convenient for tanks when we want to dive that area. Does anyone else do tank rentals?

Mahalo :) Looking forward to returning to Maui waters.

Just an update... I found the "Aloha Shore Divers" site. What a great source of info. Thanks to those to contributed.

...but if anyone has anything to add... fav. shore dive sites, etc... feel free....

...or answers to my other questions....

I was just in Maui in november 2011. I did alot of shore dives and boat dives. My favorite shore dive spot was Mckenna landing and black rock. Mckenna has some small caves with alot of turtles,fish and even a few white tip. Very easy dive at about 25' to 30'. easy to acess and showers and bathrooms right there AAA+++. Black Rock was great also, we dove around the whole point, acess is not as easy but a easy dive with alot of everything AA++. My favorite dive was the back wall of Molokini "WOW" water was so clear you could see for ever, not tons of fish but a great dive. I am going back for another week March 7-14, we are going to do all shore dives and maybe 1 boat dive. We are going to alot of different spots so I can give you a update when I get back. I can hardly wait to move there.

Maui Dive Shop has a free magazine with most of the dive sites in it, including entry points, etc. As far as tanks, you're probably limited to Maui Dive Shop and Lahaina Divers near Napili.

We'll be on island in April as well, but we're in Kihei and will only be boat diving.

I'm going to be on kaanapali, Maui from Feb 10 - 24.. I've looked into the boad dives with Lahaina Divers and Maui Dive Shop.. I will probably do some shore dives near Black Rock. I will let you know how it goes..

Thanks for the replies!
Steve - We didn't do Makena last time, but it's absolutely on our list for this time. We didn't even do Black Rock. We had intended a night dive there but it didn't happen. We did a few dives around Lahaina... Old Airport beach, Mala wharf, Coral Gardens... We only did 1 dive more north... Kapalua... the surf was usually too much up there at that time. Looking forward to hearing how your trip goes. Have a good one!
Divemaven - Lahaina Divers site doesn't list tank rentals. Perhaps I should contact them? I'm jealous about only boat diving. We had great trips last time to Molokin back wall and over to Lanai cathedrals. It's just that this was a last minute decision. We just went to Costa Rica in Jan, which was amazing, but we're hungry to dive (since we didn't there... a day of snorkeling in murky water over rocks seeing nada and getting stung by countless jellies crushed that idea. So much to do on land anyways). Then I saw a seat sale to Maui.... I only convinced the other half by saving a lot of money shore diving instead of spending many hundreds on lots of boat diving.
cshannon - Have a great trip. Please report back how it went. :)

Definitely give Lahaina Divers a call regarding tank rentals. We've rented tanks/weights from them in the past, but it has been about 4 years, so I'm not 100% sure they still rent them.

We love boat diving in S. Maui and Molokini, so we try to save money in other areas to make it possible.

We stay at Napili bay also. We rent our tanks and lead from Maui diving in Lahina, nice guys lots of tanks and good service.

Maui dreams in Kehei does 10 tank cards for around $40 (at least they did in Sept) if you plan on doing a lot of shore diving in the Kehei/Wailea area. Bring a yolk adapter if your regs are din. They do have some tanks that the plugs come out but not that many. 5 graves/Makena landing is great. Also wailea beach (south point) and Ulua beach (outer reef) and Ahihi Bay are good dives too as long as there is no south swell going on. Red hill is great too but a fairly long swim from the black sand beach and can get some ripping currents. Also dived Honolua bay which was good too.

Thanks for the site tips... all on our list! Our regs are not din, but thanks for the heads up. Not sure where we'll get our tank fill cards from, but it's nice to have options. I think we'll be in the south end a lot anyway, so it may not be a big deal to rent down there. Besides, if we can exchange at the end of the day then we'll have them for the next morning anyway. We plan to get early starts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom