Heading to Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

w0nger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
And want to do some dives, especially check out the Manta Dives and Black water dives... any recommendations for a good shop/outfit that provides good services at a good price?? also looking for places to stay as well.. thx.

Jack's Diving Locker treated us very very well last Summer.

Kona's got a lot of very good diving. Most everyone does the manta dive, Jack's Diving Locker and Big Island Divers are the only one's doing the black water dive on a fairly regular basis, maybe once a week, if that, last I heard. Pretty much all the dive companies here do a good job of taking care of their divers. Sizes run from 6 pack boats to larger Newtons that can carry 18-24 divers. If you're looking for a boat that carries a max of 6 divers (we often go out with just 2-4 during the slower seasons) and offers generous bottom times, feel free to check mine out .

Kona hotels and rental properties run the gamut as far as price and quality. For reasonable deals in Kailua, check the Royal Kona, the Kona Seaside, and the Keauhou Outrigger (their rack rate is pretty high, but deals are out there). For something more along the lines of a resort check out the Sheraton or head up north of the Airport, price will be higher. There's numerous B&Bs in the area and there are tons of vacation rentals you can find by checking VRBO.com. some of the vacation rentals are quite nice and will give you more room for the price than most hotels.

I hope this helps some, have fun.

Last edited:
We went to Kona last April and had a blast - snorkeling and diving. I rented gear from Jack's Diving Locker (at Honokohau Harbor) - it was inexpensive, in good condition and the staff were very friendly and professional. Check out the harbor - it's a great dive site!

We stayed at Silver Oaks Ranch - an absolutely beautiful place with great rooms and very friendly and helpful hosts. Rick is also a long-time diver with tons of experience and knowledge. There are no-doubt cheaper places to stay, but we wouldn't stay anywhere else in Kona (we do plan to return... someday).

Not to highjack this thread, but Jack's Diving Locker, what is "pelagic magic"? Thanks.

Hope that helps.

Lee

Not to highjack this thread, but Jack's Diving Locker, what is "pelagic magic"? Thanks.

Hope that helps.

Lee

For the pelagic magic dive, they go offshore a few miles at night. The water is several thousand feet deep. Each diver is tethered to the boat. You hang (like bait) at about 60 feet deep. The point of the dive is to view all of the very cool pelagic, larval phase critters that rise from the deep at night. There are so many alien-looking critters. It is a very cool and different dive. Most people "get it" and really enjoy it. Some people go with the wrong idea in mind and don't "get it". Some people mistakenly think they are going to see large creatures. In rare cases, sharks and dolphins have cruised by (scaring the bejesus out of people), but it is not really expected. Check out the Jack's website. They usually have a video clip so you can see what the critters look like.

I went out with Jacks a couple of years ago and they took good care of us- good equipment and very nice folks!

And want to do some dives, especially check out the Manta Dives and Black water dives... any recommendations for a good shop/outfit that provides good services at a good price?? also looking for places to stay as well.. thx.

I went out with Big Island Divers last spring for the manta and blackwater dives, and they were excellent.

But do not pass up the beach diving. There is a shop by the Home Depot on the way into Kailua you can rent tanks and get in the water. Shorediving.com has pretty good descriptions of the dive sites.

We went out with Jack's Diving Locker on December 10 and had a fantastic time. Very nice boat. They took great care of us - we're new at this and they watched over us. Keller was the Dive Master.

Ditto on Capt Jack's. Depending on where you are staying, I also really liked diving with the folks at Kohala Divers. They are a bit of a trek if you are staying directly in Kona but not bad if you are staying in the Mauna Lani/Orchid Hotels area. If you decide to check them out, stay for gourmet pizza at Cafe Pesto!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom