Heading to Koh Chang, first time on that side of the world....help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajeep94yj

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm American and married to a Swede. Her sister has talked us into going to Thailand. More specifically into Koh Chang area. I have traveled a lot to the Caribbean and to a few countries in Europe. But never anywhere close to Asia or that side of the world.

What have I gotten myself into?

I am completely lost. We are going in November. I know that's a long way off but I need to start preparing now. I need to learn everything I can about that area. we are going to stay in Bangkok for 3 days before heading over there. we already have that hotel in Bangkok (Marriott) but after that we are staying 2 weeks in Thailand, Koh Chang area.

how is the diving over there? how are the top side activities? what dive shops should we use? where should we eat? what should we make sure we don't miss?

And most importantly how do I as an American, make sure I don't make a fool out of myself?

Thanks in advance!

gajeep94yj, you have gotten yourself into a grand adventure! Savor it!

But did you know that there is more than one Koh Chang in Thailand? One is in the Gulf, in the province of Trat, near the border with Cambodia, and the other's in the Andaman, in the province of Ranong, near the border with Burma. Which one are you planning to go to? Of the two, the one near Burma is better for scuba, but it's pretty basic in terms of accommodations and infrastructure. The one near Cambodia is more developed with fancy hotels and such, but the diving is so-so.

Don't worry too much about making a fool of yourself. Thais love to welcome visitors and will not be judgmental unless you offend them by insulting the royal family or picking a fight with them.

pick a fight with them? didn't they invent Mai Tai? (not sure if I spelled that right)

I will double check on this part I am going to. Does Trat mean anything? that is where they told us we are getting the ferry. I am pretty sure they are near Cambodia.

I have also been looking at the CDC's web page, is Malaria as bad as they make it sound? is it needed for us to take the meds before and after we go there?

past that any info you can give me is appreciated.

Thanks.

No need to worry about Malaria where you will be. If you plan to go up north and do jungle trekking, then yeah, you might need prophyactics, but not for Bangkok or Koh Chang.

Yes, Trat does mean something. It means you'll be in the Gulf of Thailand and not in the Andaman. There's an airport at Trat and you can get an all-in-one ferry ticket + transfer to the pier from a vendor right at baggage claim.

As for picking fights, you'd be surprised at the kinds of things a few cocky and arrogant foreigners say/do when they go out to "party" and get s-faced. Since you'll be in the company of women, I doubt you have anything to worry about in that regard (i.e., you won't be flirting with somebody's girlfriend or causing offense in some other macho way). So relax. You're going to love it here.

Advice: go sample some of the food at Thai restaurants near where you live to figure out what you like and what you don't like. Then you'll know what to order when you get here!

(wow...we are from Atlanta too)

I'm American and have been to Thailand about 7 times now including Koh Change and Trat with my wife and (at the time) 9 year old daughter. I got my OW there through Dolphin Divers.

My wife considers the Trat airport to be "hands-down, the worlds cutest airport" with elephant topiaries lining the taxi ways all-outdoor bungalow-style terminals. You will likely fly in on Bangkok Airlines which is an excellent airline with great service then head to the ferry terminal.

The other thing that will impress you is sense of kindness and peacefulness of most everyone in Thailand. The western media focuses on a group of protesters occupying 1 block...but everywhere else, it's easy-going and generally happy. I think there's a correlation with the Buddhism. Bangkok's shopping district has, within a square mile the most amazing malls and movie theaters in the world.

You will be thrilled and delighted in Thailand. I moved to Asia with lots of preconceived ideas and have been more than surprised at every turn. While there's taxi drivers and others who try to work angles and negotiate things to their favor, they are usually genuinely more honest than counterparts in the west - like going out of their way to return a suitcase without digging around it first.

I wouldn't worry about Malaria...just use repellant in the evenings and make sure to swat any mosquitos in your room before going to sleep.

In terms of making a fool of yourself, don't worry about it. Be aware of basic cultural sensitivities regarding feet etc. Get a Lonely Planet guide and read up on these things. You are more likely to make a fool of yourself in front of Europeans who forgot that Bush isn't in office any more...and there's nothing you can do about their prejudice except pretend you are from Canada.

You're going to have an awesome time. The food is fresh and good, great fruits and juices, great people, all fun and easy going...it's all good.

You're going to have an awesome time. The food is fresh and good, great fruits and juices, great people, all fun and easy going...it's all good.

I agree totally with bjexpat.
Don't worry and just smile and relax when you're here.
You're going to have a great holiday!
:banana:

The Diving in Koh Chang can be indifferent, the season is coming to an end now due to heavy rain and rough seas, but by November things should be fine, and the diving can be good there but don't expect anything too spectacular.
There are many dive shops on the island, some seem to use communal boats and sometimes can be a bit crowded, but generally I have been very well looked after when I have dived there.
Scuba evolution are personally my favourite, particularly if you want to be a bit more adventurous in your diving, they quite often visit some wrecks, also they operate their own boat which is a plus. See their website.
They are situated in white sands beach, probably the most lively town on the island, loads of accomodation around there to suit all tastes and budgets.
Enjoy your stay i'm sure you will.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think this is going to be on of the more "adventurous" trips we have ever taken! We are not going specifically for the diving but will be doing that while we are there. My sister-in-law and her family with two kids will also be going with us and they do not dive.

Can someone describe the diving there? We like wildlife more than wrecks. Seeing Big sea life is the ultimate. We have a brand new aquarium here and they have whale sharks. if I remember right they got them from Thailand. Diving with a whale shark would a dream for my wife and me! what is more likely to see there? We are not picky divers. We can handle our own equipment and don't expect others to take care of us. All we want is a safe dive experience.

We are meeting them in bangkok. They have said they take a 5 hr bus ride from the air port to trat. They also said we can fly if we want. either sounds fine to me but what do you think about the bus?

Also and I don't know how I left this part out but we will be bringing our son with us. he will be 13 MONTHS when we are there. By this time he will have already traveled to Sweden, Northern US (11 hr drive), Grand Cayman, and Disney World in Florida. So traveling I think he will be fine, it's more maybe the culture and not being used to the foods.

You won't have a problem finding food...especially in the resort islands like Koh Chang where there are literally thousands of westerners living and working there. Heck...when the first British or Irish settle on an island, they usually build a pub before building a home ;-) (I condemn myself for that joke).

The foreign influence makes for an eclectic mix of options. Even in Siem Reip Cmbodia, I had some of the best Mexican food in Asia because a dude from Arizona settled there. You'll have a diverse range of options likely.

The extent of "exotic" in terms of living and eating will likely depend on those you are traveling with. Avoiding another generalization (but I'll do it anyway) - I would think that European travelers, who generally have much more experience than Americans (thanks to their long holidays), will be more adaptable to a wider range of options than us. My wife is a nervous traveller so when we went to Koh Chang, we did the "safe route" and stayed at the Amari.

Regarding the bus, I can't comment, but I would make some assumptions that it will be very cushy from the busses I've seen. I've done the drive with a friend from Bangkok to Samaesan (along the same route that would go to Trat. The highways are really good and include "truck stops" with Starbucks, KFC and McDonalds, 7-11s with Big Gulps and Slurpees - Thailand is (for good and for bad) very westernized but it will still have an exotic feel in parts...especially if you haven't been to Asia.

It sounds like Khram knows about the diving there. I did reef dives and they were ok. My operator, Dolphin Divers was on a small speed boat with no more than 8 people. Whale Sharks would be hit-or-miss but they have been sighted there.

I'm rambling...

I'm not sure if your plans allow for some changes but if the diving is going to be an important part of your holiday you may consider coming for a few days to South Thailand and the Andaman Sea (Phuket/Phi-Phi/Krabi/Khao Lak/Koh Lanta).
November is a very good month for diving the South-West coast and the Andaman Sea offers some of Thailand's best diving. The non-divers of your group will have a great time here too; plenty of day-trip excursions, gorgeous beaches and very good shopping too.
Diving Koh Chang for two weeks is a bit much imo and not as diverse and interesting as the Andaman Sea.

Back
Top Bottom