Heading to Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sub-Mariner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to Costa Rica Next week for the first time and the Non Diving spouse booked us at the Occidental Grand Papagayo. I have been having trouble finding a dive operator so that I can get in some dives during my stay.

If anyone has any suggestions of an operation near the hotel wold be greatly apreciated.

Try Bill and Nadine Beard of Bill Beard's Safaris. I dove with them in February and had the time of my life. They've been in Costa Rica for 20 years and know everyone.

Sure hope this post keeps going with a trip report - I just booked my Costa Rica trip for October. We want to do dive but we dont have the funds to dive every day so we want to know what the best spots and operators are - also would love to try a canopy tour so if anyone has any suggestions, we would love to hear them.

If you book packages including diving and accommodation you usually get quite good rates...for more diving!
The best spots for experienced divers (that means AOWD certified and up) are certainly Cats and Bats (but it costs more to get there), most popular local dive sites are Virador, Monkey Head, Punta Argentina, Toruga and Punta Gorda.
Very important and sorry to say, October is usually the worst month for diving the Pacific side of Costa Rica, Caribbean side seems to be a better choice during this month...
About 1/2 h from Playas del Coco you have the Congo trail Canopy, 35$, which is fun! Unfortunately while zipping through the trees, it's hard to see the wildlife, but they have a serpentarium, butterflyfarm and some monkeys at the end of the tour (I think they charge 5$ to see all this).
There's another tour close by offering all in one for 80$, meaning a canopy tour, a river float and a horse back ride with lunch or dinner, all in about 1/2 day. This tour certainly allows you to see wild life in its natural habitat: crocodiles, water birds, monkeys, ect.
About 1.5h away (transportation is best in a rental car...) you have the Rincon de la Vieja National Park. Besides visiting the volcanic park to see its activity you have choices of rapelling, canopy, canyoning, horseback, ect.
Hope this helps

Thanks Summer Salt for the info. I know October is the rainest month but that was our only availability. We are both AOWD/Nitrox Certified with plenty of Coz dives behind us. The Canopy tour will definetely be on our to do list.

I will be doing more research and planning and would love to hear more.

Thanks to all

Thank you for the CRDP link, Summer-Salt. I'm going to Costa Rica in two weeks and will hopefully get AOW while I'm there. I'm staying and diving with Ocotol so was relieved to see them listed as a member of CRDP. This is my second trip to Costa Rica but my first as a diver. I was a non-diver during my first visit to Costa Rica but had a fabulous time visiting Volcano Arenal area, Quepos, Jaco and Manuel Antonio. It is such a beautiful country. Again, thank you for the link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom