headed to PDC.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aalbinger

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
How is the weather and water conditions in the Playacar / Playa Del Carmen area?

I'll be there November 19-27. Staying at the Iberostar Quetzal. I've seen some bad press about Dressel Divers on here recently but that is who I'm signed up to dive with. It's mostly a family vacation with a bit of diving thrown in for me anyway.

Anything interesting going on in the PDC area in the next couple of weeks?

-Andrew

Hi. You're not getting much feedback so I thought I'd get my number of post count up by wishing you a good trip. We were there last year for the week of Thanksgiving and we got by fine with 3/2 mm shorties. It rained 2 full days last year when we went. We usually go in May but have been once in October which it rained almost every day. I noticed the ocean is warmer in November than it usually is in May. But you never know from one year to the next. Sorry, I can't be more specific because the weather is always better there than it is in Ohio therefore I don't record what the temps are. It will be nice and warm either way.

I'm going to PDC on December 4th and staying at Iberostar Paraiso. It is a bit north of PDC but we will be avoiding Dressel and diving with Dive Mike in PDC. Iberostar Quetzal is a great resort! We stayed there 4 years ago. Honestly, you're only a 30 minute/$5 cab ride from some other dive ops in PDC if you change your mind about Dressel. We have never dived with them but besides their price, our biggest reason for not diving with them that they only run 1-tank dives and if you wanna get 2 tanks in, you'll spend all day by the clock.

You'll have a great time anyway.

You have gotten good advice by avoiding Dressel Divers. I dove with them three years ago in Cozumel. Among other issues, the boats were loaded with combo divers & snorklers, two boats ran into one another and the staff isn't diver friendly. They make the majority of their money by luring non-certified divers into a resort course and then dumping them into the ocean. This past summer, I attempted to use Dressel again in PDC (Iberostar Tucan) and the problems and hassels were equal. I posted a trip report in June describing the event. Long and the short of it, very bad again. I used Abyss Divers after Dressel and was very satisfied. By the way, make sure you dive the ceynotes. They are very cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom