Headaches after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelster:
Wondering what causes my headaches. I always get one after my second dive of the day.

I have adjusted my mask to make sure it's not to tight, I have dove both air and nitrox. I can equalize no problem, and I don't change my depth drastically or frequently while under.

I find my mouthpiece gets very annoying and tiring. Could this be my problem? I was reading the back of the package on the mouthpieces that form to your bite and it said that it eleviated headaches.

Is this my problem, or are there any other suggestions of what could be causing these?
Several months ago I compiled an article regarding the relation between headaches and SCUBA diving. You can download it from http://www.red-sea-shadow.com/downloads/HeadachesAndScubaDiving.pdf

As stated above the probably the most likely cause is the build up of CO2 from not exhaling completely. Check DANs webpage they have a medical article about headaches and diving. Click on 'Diving Medicine' on the left side of the page, then 'medical articles' then scroll down and look under 'Neurological'.

TSandM:
One common cause of headache is CO2 retention, which can occur if a diver is skip breathing to extend his gas supply, or is breathing too fast and shallow and not clearing his CO2.

A few years ago I would always get a bad headache after diving. It had me puzzled for a long time until I mentioned it to a MD I know that dives. He asked if I did short or skip breaths to extend tank air which I did do to an extent. He said it was probably due to C02 build up. The next time I dove I did normal breathing and yes my tank air went quicker but no headache.

cause of a headache for me is when the water's too cold, I tend to bite on my mouthpiece hard when I freeze, but if I avoid it, i don't get headaches after a dive.

should be the mouthpiece bit kelster . . . but, that is just from personal experience.

The way you decompress might have an effect as well. The post dive "blah" feeling sometimes hits me as a mild headache.

Hydration, the mouthpiece (not clenching down on it), and a very controlled ascent. I firmly believe that adequate decompression has a profound effect on how ones feels post dive.

I haven't had any headaches, but I do get "TMJ" like jaw pain after not diving for a while...But that kind of stuff is to be expected...

early in my dive career, I used to get em largely because of the skip breathing. nasty C02 thumping headaches around the temples that aspirin/ advil wouldn't cure. Since I've improved my breathing, the headaches have gone away.

TSandM:
Headaches are an extremely nonspecific symptom.

One common cause of headache is CO2 retention, which can occur if a diver is skip breathing to extend his gas supply, or is breathing too fast and shallow and not clearing his CO2.
I was waiting to see if someone explained. I have the same problem because I naturally breathe shallow. Sometimes I will breathe from a high percentage of oxygen sling bottle once I'm back on the boat. Gets rid of the headache witin 5-7 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom