Head Rush at 25 - 20 ft!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrispete,

I suppose that an alterbaric vertigo could be considered a reverse block if it occurred on ascent. But alterbaric vertigo ought to be able to be experienced on descent or ascent. In addition, whenever I have experienced "reverse blocks" they usually also include some pain and require me to descend and come up more slowly, actively trying to equalize the blocked ear/sinus or whatever might be blocked.

This diver reported no pain and was able to return to the surface complaining only of the "rush". This distinction may seem minor but I believe that the absense of pain and the ability to surface take it out of the reverse block arena and simply make it an alterbaric vertigo.

As I stated before, I'm a dentist. While I do have medical training and over 40 years of diving experience I have learned a great deal both from school, books and life experience.

I would greatly appreciate it if one of the MD, docs would help straighten out any misconception I might have about the difference between a reverse block and alterbaric vertigo. I am more than willing to learn something new.

Please do not read anger into this response. None is intended. I may very well be wrong and reverse block and alterbaric vertigo are at least partially related. I wish to learn and where possible, teach others. First I have to know when I might be wrong.

Regards,

Laurence Stein DDS

Ah, I'm just trying to learn as much as possible - I didn't mean for it to come across as me questioning you Dr. Stein, as I was actually questioning myself and want to make sure that if I was wrong in my thinking that I could straighten that out - thus the followup post from my original one. Thanks for the detailed response.

chrispete,

First, let ME apologize. I re-read the response and I was snippy. It was not my intention.

YOU have every right to question a doctor and as a dentist, I am not the "cat's meow" when it comes to anything more than an inch from the mouth, I cannot be considered an expert.

Last night I had just gotten back from the trip from hell--helped my daughter move from an apartment to her new place at college. I'm not quite sure why she needed us--all I did was hook up her computer. This went on for three days. My wife spent 5 hours looking for "inexpensive" shoes for "rush". 5 HOURS!!!! For a pair of shoes she will wear once--gimme a break!

Then a 5 hour drive back home.

You were next on my list--sorry.

It's good to be back to the office. Heaven help the first patient!!

I would really like to hear from the other docs on this though. Reverse block on ascent could cause an alterbaric vertigo but I'm not sure that the two are synonomous. It's a matter of definition.

Regards,

Larry Stein

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom