Hawkes Bay NZ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Was curious if anyone has gone diving in Hawkes bay/Napier, I am going there on vacation in the coming months and also using the trip to narrow down a few jobs as I am planning on relocating from Phoenix(should have went there to begin with, when I had the chance). Wanted to know what the diving was like, and also if anyone had an other suggestions.

Thanks

Steve

aaen:
Wanted to know what the diving was like, and also if anyone had an other suggestions.
You can't go wrong with the Poor Knights...

Thanks for the reply, and other sites that are in the vicinity that would be worth checking out. Also I believe Poor Knights is in the north end of the north island, lookign more for around bay of plenty/hawkes bay/napier

Steve

Never dived in that area but a couple of hours north is Tauranga. From there you can go on charters to the Auldermans and Mayor Island and also White Island ( an active volcano). If you have the time a trip upto the Tutukaka to dive the Poor Knights and the Navy wrecks The Tui & the Waikato will be worth it. Further north again you can dive the Rainbow Warrior. This is the Greenpeace vessle that was bombed by the french government in port at Auckland 20 years ago.
Heading sounth you can dive the F69 navy wreck in Wellington (only6 months old) or the russian cruise ship the Michale Lermmintof (sp). Although this one is quite deep from memory and probably more of a tec dive.
Let google be your freind and im sure you find some good diving in the Bay of Plenty.

Edit: Dive HQ ph NZ( 064 or +64) 06 834009 or NZ 06 788831

aaen:
Thanks for the reply, and other sites that are in the vicinity that would be worth checking out.

Yes, plenty.

White Island and Volkner Rocks are reached from Whakatane, which is just a short drive from Napier. Diving is at least as good as the Knights - Volkner may even be a tad better in my opinion.

The aquarium at Napier does awesome shark dives in their tank - as long as you like for about $50.

There are some good wreck dives around, but don't expect great viz.

Pania reef is right off shore from Napier - it's huge, with some good and not so good spots.

There's some good shore diving off Kaiti beach in Gisborne, including the wreck of the Star of Canada.

Put it this way, in comparison with Arizona....... a lot of options!

Yeah I figured there would be more options then in Arizona, still wish I would have taken that job in Napier though, having a hardtime finding any other geotechnical engineering firms in the region, although I am sure I will find one again. Anyways again thanks for the replies, I will definetly try to take all the sites in when I am there, just depends on how long I can get away from my current job, going to try for 2 weeks.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks for the info on the company, I will definetly check them out online, and see if they are what i am looking for.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Mate. There is some good diving in and around Hawke Bay, also out on the coast south of Cape Kidnappers. My wife is from Hastings so we tend to head down that way often.
As Andy said Pania reef is not too bad and if you head out to OceanBeach and Waimarama, check out Bare Island. Behind Bare Island is a spot called the BOIL.
Its a massive rock/reef that rises out of 40-50 metres up to about 9 metres. There are masses of schooling fish, crayfish and the odd shark or two.
These are the only dives I have done down there so far but I do hope to do some more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom