Hawes HID Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
We just had one of these delivered last night and so far I'm quite impressed with it. No dives yet, but heres a first impression:

The light head is small, simple and seems quite well made. I've dove an older diverite mr11 head before and this head seems slightly smaller and slightly lighter (although it was over a year ago on the diverite so that may not be correct). It is an aluminum head with HAWES stamped in it. Very simple, and very nice. It isnt focusable as you'd expect with the mr11 bulb design. The one thing i remember from the diverite was how nice and even the beam was - didnt seem to have hotspots etc. I know the halcyon 10 watt does have hotspots but it is adjustable. I remember quite liking the even light from the diverite and expect this one to be similar. The halcyon 10 watt head is larger than this head.

The canister on this light surprised me a bit - it was smaller than i was anticipating. The halcyon helios 4.5 can is very small and almost completely forgotten when its on your rig. This canister is actually not a whole lot bigger - it is maybe an inch diameter larger but the length is quite similar to the helios. I believe it will be quite out of the way as well. I think why i expected it to be larger is that I assumed the light heads between the halcyon and this light were similar in size and just extrapolated that to the picture of the hawes light. The construction doesn't have as "finished" an appearance as the halcyon but i believe thats more a material choice than a construction choice for the canister - it seems as robust as you'd expect from a pvc style canister. The delrin on the halcyon canister is one solid chunk of delrin and this canister is pvc or similar plastic topped with ends of similar material. It also looks to have some extra coating - seems to be a leak sealant or something.

Batteries are typical SLA and dont have the burn time of nimh. 120 minutes as opposed to the 4 hours. However, price on the battery is very cheap compared nimh and we got an extra one as well for not too much.

Pricewise this light is far far cheaper than any other HID canister light out there. We got it for one of the guys i dive with who's basically a student on a budget. But, i have to say, having seen this light so far i'd have second thoughts on paying the extra for the halcyon - you can buy almost 3 of these lights for the same price as the halcyon. I'll reseve final judgement for after some diving with it. I realise we're dealing with different materials - plastic vs delrin, capabilities - focusable vs. non focus and battery tech - nimh vs sla. BUT i guess after all that, if its a robust enough light that serves its purpose, why pay more. I'm going to switch back and forth between this light and my helios a bit and see just what the benefits are.

The goodman handle on the halcyon is a solid metal handle and the handle on the hawes is a strap connected to a plastic light holder. The strap seems easy enough to tighten and remove. That will have to wait for some dives before i can see which is better there - however, i do know my halcyon handle seems a bit too small with thick gloves on and this strap is adjustable so that issue would be gone - the only thing i'm thinking that may be an issue with the strap is floppy factor.

Shipping was quick and Daryl was a nice guy to deal with.

So thats the preliminary assessment. I'll keep you posted. And post some pictures beside the helios for size comparisons.

steve

Keep us informed about how the Hawes works. I've been looking around for an HID but there seems to be more choices the more I look. Post some pics when you get a chance. Thanks

What are the internal dimensions of the canister?
I suspect it can be easily upgraded to a NiMH battery pack.

be sure to let us know steve!
those lights look interesting! If yours works out, I might look into getting one.

what was the cost on yours by the time you got it here?

After everything, it was on the order of 430-450 canadian i think with the extra SLA battery and shipping. When you compare it to a light cannon, there really is no comparison - this light wins hands down (i've had a light cannon for 2 years now but will likely never dive with that again). Pricewise with the light cannon, this is only another 100 or so depending where you get it but the benefits of a canister light on a goodman handle are huge.

Comparing it to my helios though, you can see a definite benefit for signalling with the lightsaber type beam if thats what you want. I'd love to try this type of light with a 6 degree beam (we got the 13 degree head). That 6 degree head might be a compromise that would work in the signalling case.

steve

sounds great!

who did you get it from? direct?

WOW!

I was expecting a lot more money, he posts it for 339$ american on his site, and I was mentally tacking 1.5X exchange on it, and then duties and shipping, was expecting closer to 600$

Back
Top Bottom