Hawaiian Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaysun1327

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to plan a Hawaiian vacation for my family(mother, grandparents, aunt) and was looking for some suggestions as to where to stay. My girlfriend and I will be the only divers in the bunch, but I'm hoping to convince some others to go snorkeling. My grandfather needs a wheelchair to get around. Ideally I guess what I would be looking for is a wheelchair accessible house that can sleep 8, but hotel suggestions or anything else would be welcome. Haven't decided on an island yet either but leaning Maui or Oahu. And of course recommendations for dive site or dive operators. This will be my first time in Hawaii. Thanks!

Check out VRBO.com for rental condos and houses. It's really great to be able to have a place close to the beach (or on the beach) with a full kitchen. It'll probably be less challenging to find an ADA condo than house, so that's where I'd start.

On Maui, most often recommended boat dive ops are: Ed Robinson's, B&B, and Mike Severns. For shore diving, check out Shaka Doug and Maui Dreams, though Doug usually gets the stronger nod around here. :wink:

VRBO is good, we've used them for other locations but for our trip to Maui next month we used airbnb.com. Really sweet site, easy booking/communication. We found a place in south Kihei for $125/night for a 2/2 condo that's located between Kalama and Kamaole beaches right on Kihei Rd.

One feature of the airbnb.com site that I thought was cool was that ratings are two-way streets. Renters review the places they stay in and the owners rate the renters.

We usually visit Hawaii once or twice a year; I'd like to go more but things don't always work out. You didn't say what time of year you're thinking about going. That will affect a lot of things, because it might be raining or stormy, or clear, sunny and calm conditions. There are a lot more dive options on Maui than Oahu from what I've seen

Maui is great. South at the Kihei to Wailea area is usually dry, and Molokini crater is the usual boat dive for the first dive of a two tank trip, then something close to shore for the second dive (before the wind / seas pick up). I've had great dives with Pauline from Mike Severns Diving and use them every time. Up from Lahaina and Kapalua is often windier, cooler and a bit wetter, and dive trips usually go to Lanai. Extended Horizons is great. Maui Dreams in Kihei is a good choice if you want to do scooter dives from shore, but they will go with you

Condos give you more flexibility than a hotel - you get a kitchen so don't have to eat out 100% of the time (it's nice to pick up fresh fish and grill it, then stagger back to your bed without getting in the car). The rental market in Maui is somewhat depressed due to the economy (ask me how I know). Lots of great deals on VRBO, or ask people you trust about where they stayed and what they thought. Kihei rental condos are relatively economical and convenient to many activities. You should decide if you really want to stay in the same single unit as all your relatives, or rent several condos in the same complex and have space to yourselves, since it's supposed to be a vacation. Make sure you know what you get from VRBO, since you might not get all the local help and support you get by renting from a condo complex with an on-site management rental office (i.e., getting something fixed if it breaks)

A good friend from MD goes to the big island several times a year (his wife retired from United, so flight cost isn't an issue), and he loves the diving there more than Maui. But all he does is dive, eat and sleep. We're going to overlap with him later this week and I'll post what I think after not being on Hawaii in over 6 years

Consider Kauai as well, personally I prefer it over Maui. Don't get me wrong, I was born on Maui so it holds a special place in my heart; but whenever I go there I feel like I spend my whole time driving.

Kauai just seems to have more to do.. Maui is a bit more setup for rich people that want to go to a timeshare at Kaanapali and sit in a hotel all day (IMO). Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of stuff on Maui but it's just so much more spread out and I never really feel as comfortable there.

Diving on Kauai is just as good as Maui.. so think about what you're going to do when you're not in the water - especially since you have other people with you.

Big Blue...Seasport divers or Fathom Five on Kauai ?

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Just got back from Maui, 12/4/12-12/12/120, I used Air BNB to get a nice condo on South Kihei and we dove with Ed Robinson's.

Some highlights from the trip

1. Lots of frog fish especially and the St Anthony and Helldiver wrecks

2. Night dive at Five Caves, entering one of the caves to find at least 15 Green Sea Turtles!

3. Having Ed Robinson on two of the dives. He called me a competent diver :). If you ever dive with them see if you can dive with Joe, he is an excellent dive guide.

4. Seeing the utter joy in my family's faces!

Again, Thanks for all the suggestions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom