Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_drum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any locals to Hawaii spearfish? If so, can you point me in the right direction as far as where to go, what to do, what NOT to do, etc? I started to post this in the normal Hawaii forum but thought this would be a better place for such questions. I get to move there in a couple of months and would like to start spearfishing. I just ordered The Bare Bones book, that will help with the symantics of spearfishing... I need to know specifically on the Hawaiian islands where and how.

Anybody?

Can tell you from experience Makapuu beach is popular for spear fishing / free diving. It's on the most eastern point of Oahu near Sea Life Park. Which island you moving to cuz?

I just got back from the Big Island and Oahu and did some spearfishing on both. I know, on the Big Island at least, that most South facing shores are protected from fishing with spearguns or polespears.. Don't ask me why. However, you can spear at South Point, two step, and a lot of other places on the Kona coast. I went to South Point, two step, and Kua bay about 40 minutes north of Kona, and speared a couple nice Peacock Groupe (Roi) and one very nice Parrotfish (Uhu). There is a lot of talk about locals not welcoming spearfishers but everyone I talked to was very polite and a couple locals went as far to tell me what structure to look near. Be careful at South Point though, the water conditions can change very quick and one guy was sucked out to sea and drowned just a few weeks prior to me going there.

The locals were tearin' it up in front of our condo in Hawaii, every day. If it was larger than a softball, it was meat. Why would they object to anyone else harvesting?

I'm not sure but there are lots of people put there who will tell you that locals frown on outside spearos. But like I said, the only locals I talked to were very friendly and welcoming.

Any suggestions on a speargun? I bought the recommended DVD, The Barebones of Spearfishing and am looking at the Ocean Rhino guns. They seem to be pretty complete. What length would you recommend spearfishing off Oahu? I would love to get some really fresh fish this way and would sate my hunting hobby. If you would, let me know what length, what type, did you buy it on the islands there (thinking of ordering one before the move), bands vs compressed air, etc.

BTW, I should be full time in Oahu no later than April 1 so it IS coming... I am going to be on the Oahu a week from today for my "house hunting trip" that comes with my move package. I plan to sneak a dive or two in while there!

FIRST - Read through the hunting forum. There are dozens and dozens of threads with people asking which gun to buy. There are even a couple from me when I got my first gun. Reading through those threads will help to give you an idea of what fish you may want to go after and a basic knowledge of gun requirements.

I have an 54" Ocean Rhino and really enjoy it. It suits me well enough but it is heavy so be prepared for extra task loading requirements. However, when hunting in the ocean, you need a gun which will be big enough to shoot the fish you're after.NOTE: This doesn't mean go buy the biggest gun you can find.. If you're freediving, I would look into a lighter gun. Most of the guys I've known over there like the Cressi and Omer guns due to their lightweight.

When I went, I carried my smaller gun which did the trick. However, if you don't have one yet and you're moving there,,, I would wait until you get there. I'm not familiar with the SCUBA / spear fishing shops in Oahu, but there is a great store on the Big Island called Blue Water Hunter. They have a lot of good products and are very helpful. Everything from JBL to Cressi to Riffe and DeathStick. Hope that helps.

Absolutely it helps, great advice all the way around. Thanks, I'll start looking thru previous posts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom