Hawaii Voting to Ban Sale of Shark Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok just got word regarding the 2050 date. Apparently its a political thing and will be ironed out. So please go ahead and write to the reps and tell them you support this Bill. The vote is the 6th of April.
Bill SB2169

Could anyone give examples where a 40 year in the future "effective" date on a Hawaii State Bill has resulted in an "effective" political solution?

Supporting unworkable solutions does not seem like "effective" support. I will support an "effective" Bill.

Could anyone give examples where a 40 year in the future "effective" date on a Hawaii State Bill has resulted in an "effective" political solution?

Supporting unworkable solutions does not seem like "effective" support. I will support an "effective" Bill.

I was assured the "effective date" is going to be ironed out and that this is still a very viable bill.

Thank you Joe8mofo, you are correct, I got the email addy wrong. Thank you

You have some couragous legislatures out there. Lol

It passed!!! The Hawaiian House just voted in favor of the bill to ban the distribution, sale and possession of shark fins in Hawaii. Still a few more steps to go, but this is another huge hurdle!
Thanks to everyone who helped make this get this far!
Whoo hoo!!

I still looks like it is effective July 1, 2050.

I'd call that a hollow victory for sharks.

Regarding the Date, from the Shark Safe Network:

"SB 2169-2050 date: Legislators put a "defective date" on many bills. When a committee feels that all issues are not resolved but they want to pass the bill to keep it alive, they add the defective date. That signals to everyone that more discussion is needed, but that the bill is essentially alive. Without this option, bills would get stuck and would not make it through the process within the designated time."

Not a hollow victory at all. This is a great victory and many more should now follow.

PROBLEMS WITH THE BILL - PLEASE HELP:

"The process requires that once passed through the House of Representatives bills then go to what is called 'Conference' where meetings are arranged to decide the final version of the outline. As this particular bill was almost defeated, resurrected and then eventually passed it had experienced some serious bounding around. During this journey some of the points have become bones of contention within the discussions.

The main problem now is that some of the House members are asking for the word 'Possession' meaning that at the end of the day it would still be allowed for the import of shark fin to Hawaii. If this becomes the sticking point the incredible and groundbreaking movement comes to a grinding halt, it won't move up to the next rung in the process ladder. "

Please send an email of support for Bill SB2169 to
reps@capitol.hawaii.gov

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom