hawaii suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WC, that's so funny. It got your juices churning there for a second, didn't it? I can imagine you jumping up and getting your gear ready to find the mine sweeper.

I was wondering if it's worth renting a car while I'm there. How expensive is it vs beening able to be picked up at the hotel for any trips or tours. Do they have a good bus line to running to get around the various places people like to visit?

Oahu's bus line is very good and the drivers are used to questions. It costs $2 to get anywhere on the Island - just not as fast or convenient as having a car.

Another nice way to get around is with the Trolley. No windows, so it's great if you want to take pictures :wink:

You know, you might consider diving with Oahu Scuba Divers (Justleesa and her husband, Roger from this board). They run a first class operation and will treat you right.

Take the bus! What hotel will you be staying at? Any good hotel will have a list of buses for all the locations you want to go to.

Honestly, I don't suggest renting a car unless you want to go up to North Shore to see the little waves. Basically, no big surf to see. It is still beautiful up there though. Check with your hotel to find out how much it is for parking. At the Hilton, it is $20 a day to park yourself or $26 to park valet. Ouch. Most tours have shuttles.

The summer months are when diving on the North Shore is da kine. Shore diving in Pupukea Marine Conservation District (Waimea Wall, Three Tables, Fire House, Sharks Cove) and boat diving out of Haleiwa are the flip side of Oahu diving. The well known wreck dives off the South Side are what visitors staying in Waikiki without rental cars end up doing, but Summer surf swells come from the south so vis may not always be great. The West Side (Mahi, Makaha Caverns and such) are mostly good year round.

Waikiki is smokin' hot in the summer, I'd stay on the North Shore with a rental car.

halemano:
The summer months are when diving on the North Shore is da kine. Shore diving in Pupukea Marine Conservation District (Waimea Wall, Three Tables, Fire House, Sharks Cove) and boat diving out of Haleiwa are the flip side of Oahu diving. The well known wreck dives off the South Side are what visitors staying in Waikiki without rental cars end up doing, but Summer surf swells come from the south so vis may not always be great. The West Side (Mahi, Makaha Caverns and such are mostly good year round.

Waikiki is smokin' hot in the summer, I'd stay on the North Shore with a rental car.
I'll be one of those tourists staying in Waikiki ............ still checking into local dive shops and charters. Looks like we will be using the bus lines to get around the island for nondiving stuff. Several shops/charters advertise that they will pick us up at the hotel. Want a shop/charter service that will be able to offer wide range of dives on different sides of the island also. Average 2 tank dive runs $95 to $110 but several shops offers discounts for multi days of diving if we book with them. My wife is really short (4'10") and likes to dive with a steel 63 if possible but will use a alumn tanks if necessary. Have been disappointed that I haven't found a "dive friendly" resort like Sunset House or Colbalt Coast ( Grand Cayman ) advertised. .... HAS ANYONE HEARD of a live show called "Blue Hawaii" on the island. It has an ELVIS performer singing his Hawaii songs durning a luau.

The Blue Hawaii Show is located at the Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel (808) 923-1234. They have a dinner show and a show only package.

I saw "Elvis" the other day performing. He is the younger, thinner version with the sideburns. Not a bad voice either.

Other shows you might want to check out if you don't go night diving are the Society of Seven @ the Outrigger, Magic of Polynesia @ the Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel, CirQue Hawaii www.cirquehawaii.com.

What hotel will you be staying at?

Back
Top Bottom