hawaii suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Taking my wife on a week vacation to Oahu this June to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. This will be our first trip to Hawaii and we want to dive 3 or 4 days. Would like to hear from ScubaBoard members on best dive shops to use, good hotels to stay at, and other interesting places to see or visit while on the island.

Im sure this will be moved soon but please look at the many previous posts asking these very same questions. Congrats and enjoy your visit!
Aloha

http://www.hawaiibeachcondos.com/

Just got back staying in these folk's Princess 2 condo AWESOME place to stay Semi private beach with Excellent Shore dives just out of your Lanai which all have beach view. Makaha Caverns are just off shore and north. It is about an hour north of Honolulu and you pass "Tent city" but my Wife and I never felt any kind of insecurities. About 1 hour drive to the Dole Plantation, 1.5 hours to the Polynesian Center and 2 to North Shore. 45 min north of Pearl Harbor (they have an Old Dive training Tower there you can see along with The Mighty MO (Where the Japanese signed the surrender) the Bowfin (WWII Diesel Sub) and of course the Arizona (Very sobering experience)

Dive charters are a 3 minute drive to the Docks. You can Rent tanks from a LDS at the Docks for your own diving on the beach or get on a charter. We used http://www.captainbruce.com/ and had an excelent day of diving. The first Dive was on a Mine sweeper about 75 feet the the Bow then the second was Makaha Caverns with turtles galore. We were back to the Docks by 2 pm.

All in all it we LOVED it. We took our last day to visit Waikiki and were extremely happy we chose to go to Makaha. It is where the Locals go to get away. And fighting over 10 feet of sand with this Tourist trap was not our idea of "The Island Experience."

PM me your email if you want pictures of the View from Makaha and look at my Uploads for just a quick view of Makaha Caverns.

thanks guys ... I'm moving the thread now and can't wait to hear what everybody has to say about diving in Oahu ..............

Here is a great book that shows all the must do's and must see's

Where is a mine sweeper?

The Mahi was a minesweeper in WWII, before it was a cable layer (wheel in front was added so it could be used as a cable layer)

Ahhh, thought I had missed a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom