Hawaii Oahu and Maui experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DvrRick

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm going to Oahu and Maui in September and am looking for anyones advice on dive boats in those areas. Any experience good and bad can help me narrow down the many choices. And yes, I am reading and posting in the Hawaii section. I want to get a CA view of HI dive shops :wink:. Thanks!

DvrRick:
Hi all. I'm going to Oahu and Maui in September and am looking for anyones advice on dive boats in those areas. Any experience good and bad can help me narrow down the many choices. And yes, I am reading and posting in the Hawaii section. I want to get a CA view of HI dive shops :wink:. Thanks!

Hey Rick,
I was in both places last December...dove both islands:
in Oahu I highly recommend Diveoahu.com excellent operations and staff. in Maui I went with Maui DiveShop, well, they are a big chain operations in Maui but service and staff was excellent and fun. I did Lanai in Maui which was spectecular.
I hope this helps a bit and have fun...great diving there for sure.
Cheers....

It depends on where you're staying. If you're staying in Kihei I recommend Ed Robinson, they are the only op I use when I go there. Mike Severns and B & B Scuba have good reputations as well.

I you're staying up north, Lahaina Divers seem to be pretty popular, but are more of a cattle op from what I've been told.

I have not dove on Oahu so I can't offer any suggestions for that island.

Make sure you do some shore dives when on Maui as well. It has some truly incredible shore diving.

HTH

Brian

Avoid Maui Dive Shop. I really enjoyed Pauline with Mike Severns Diving. She is a marine biologist and owner of the boat. I also had a good time the B&B scuba. Both leave from the Kihei Boat Ramp which gets you to Molokini in 10 minutes. I haven't checked out any of the Lanai Lava Tube dive trips but have heard they are excellent. You can also do some nice shore dives all over the west side of Maui. Check out http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/index.htm for info.

I have only been to Maui, so I don't know anything about the others!

Have a great time, I love Maui!!

I went to Maui in May. I did a couple of Dive with B&B scuba from Kihei. Highly recommended, they are always the first boat to arrive in Molokini crater. Great Crew !!!

http://www.bbscuba.com/

Thanks for the info. Anyone else that has experience please post some more :eyebrow:. I really appreciate all the help here. I'm looking forward to my trip and my only regret is I'm not staying for two weeks (Or three, or four, or........) :D

DvrRick:
Thanks for the info. Anyone else that has experience please post some more :eyebrow:. I really appreciate all the help here. I'm looking forward to my trip and my only regret is I'm not staying for two weeks (Or three, or four, or........) :D

I just got back from Maui on Sunday and did 3 2-tank boat dive amongst two different dive ops: Ed Robinson (8 dives with Ed prior to this trip, plus 2 this trip) http://www.mauiscuba.com/erd1.htm and Lahaina Divers (4 dives this trip) http://www.lahainadivers.com/index.html.

I did a drift dive on the backside of Molikini Crater (Back Wall & En’e Nu’e), and inside Molikini Crater (Mid Reef & Aquarium) with Lahaina Divers and Twilight/Night dive (Reef’s End & Marty’s Reef) with Ed Robinson.

To give you a better idea of why I chose another dive company. I’ve been to Maui 3 times in the last 4 years and I normally stay in Kihei and dive with Ed Robinson op; who departs from Kihei boat launch. However, this trip I stayed in Ka’Anapali and the Kihei boat launch is about a 45-minute drive. While I thoroughly enjoyed diving with Ed’s ops, I couldn’t talk myself into waking up around 5am on vacation (2 days in a row to dive). So my friends and I booked with Lahaina Diver’s.

Between the two, I liked Ed Robinson crew and dives better and HIGHLY RECOMMEND them. Ed’s crew is funnier, more personable, and very enthusiastic about diving. They have a better briefing of what we might see and what we’ll be looking for. Went above and beyond on getting to know what I want out of the dive and me. They definitely maxim your bottom time by your air consumption. Where as, IMHO, Lahaina Divers had a time schedule of how long each dive is so they can get back for the afternoon charter. Top it all of, you probably get to meet Ed on the night dives as he is one of the Divemaster.

Hope this helps! Ben

I taught Scuba Diving in Oahu and Maui,, I could definatly hook You up with all you need to Know. In Oahu I would highly recommend Ocean Concepts. They will pick you up at your hotel, give you a lunch on the boat, and you get two great dives. Also Ocean Concepts dives the West Side of the Island, which is probally some of the best diving in Hawaii.. Most companies in Oahu dive off the Waikiki side,,,which is not very good...My email is Divecali@yahoo.com,,,contact me for any questions from diving,restraunts,,or other funs stuff in Hawaii.

Adam

We went to Maui last year and had a blast.

We did two beach dive off of Black Rock- one day dive and one night dive. During the day we saw tons of turtles just chilling. We even got a close encounter with a monk seal. At night there were a lot of really interesting eels and night critters. The night dive was led by Extended Horizons. It was just us and the guide and he was great.. I highly recommend them.

We also took a boat dive to Lanai via extended horizons. Once again, we were very happy with them. During one of our dives at Lighthouse we caught of a glimps of a white tip without a dorsal fin. Not sure how he came to miss it, but it was certainly a rare sight.

Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom