Hawaii location recommendations Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pardon me for eavesdropping, but, any recomendations for shore dives would be appreciated. We are just 4 weeks away from our visit there, can't wait....
We enjoyed our Manta dive with Jacks last time, but, were hoping to try some different operations that might take us to some more out of the way spots for our day dives.Maybe something not so crowded. We are all advanced divers.
Thanks....
Danny

Absolutely! just what i was looking for...

Don't forget 2 step - the refuge. Beautiful!

Don't forget 2 step - the refuge. Beautiful!

How do I get there? I'm familiar with the refuge. Where is the best spot to dive there?

Thats a great website. Put it in the favorites menu....
Thanks!
Any recomendations on dive ops. Preferably a smaller operation tht may frequent out of the way locations....

For advanced diving I would recommend Dive Tek, which has already been mentioned. They can certainly take you on advanced dives and I've been on their boat when they've done deep deco dives (I was not on the dive). I'd check to see if Colin is working as a DM when you want to go. They can supply Tri-mix if you need it and could probably rent you doubles if you wanted to go deep. While I have a lot of good things to say about them, Keith is not always the quickest to return e-mails, so you may want to call him.

There are two challenges in getting to out of way dive sites. If a south swell is up when you want to dive the locations that any of the dive ops that leave from Honokohau (sp?) boat harbor north of Kailua-Kona will be limited. And Honokohau is where all the boats I've dove with(Dive Tek, Jack's, Pacific Rim, Wanna Dive) left from. And because almost all the boats leave from the harbor they tend to go to the locations close to the harbor where they know there's good diving. Dive Tek (and maybe others) does occasionally does an all-day three tank trip down south, where there isn't as much traffic. I wanted to go on that trip, but it was scheduled the day before I was to fly home.

If you've got 4-6 people in your group you may want to contact Patrice at Pacific Rim Divers Home Page Pacific Rim Divers, Ltd. They only have a six pack and she is very responsive to suggestions on different places to go. Last time I dove with her we went to one of the less visited sites so we could see a Flame Tip Anthea (I think that was the name of the fish) at about 110'. That was certainly out of the ordinary. You could probably charter the whole boat with her. But they are very popular and have a lot of repeat business, so you may want to check awhile before you arrive.

Hope this helps.

JB

perfect.. thanks

Check out Jack's Diving Locker. They run night dives, morning dives, 3-tank dives, etc. There are quite a few good dive ops in Kona...so investigate and see which one fits you best.

Back
Top Bottom