Hawaii- Kauai questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhino_Portland_Oregon

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I will be there Feb 23rd through March 2nd. I'm looking to shore dive for the most part. Any suggestions where to go?

Also I would like to "dive with sharks" in a controlled environment (as controlled as the ocean can be).. Does anyone have any recommedations where to do this.

I'm very excited for the trip.

Thanks for any help you can give....

Rhino_Portland_Oregon:
I will be there Feb 23rd through March 2nd. I'm looking to shore dive for the most part. Any suggestions where to go?

ever checked out shorediving.com? It's got a pretty good list of dive sites in Hawaii. Keep in mind that anything facing north (and west if a swell is in) is out at this time of year.

Rhino_Portland_Oregon:
Also I would like to "dive with sharks" in a controlled environment (as controlled as the ocean can be).. Does anyone have any recommedations where to do this....

Theres nobody that offers these types of 'experiences' on SCUBA, they are a snorkel only thing. Personally I'd say take you chances on really seeing a shark (in the wild) or go to an aquarium and stay away from the fish feeders....

anyone know what the water temp is around the islands? Thinking of going in March but think it may be too cold.

thanks

They have organized shark dives off Oahu, but no such thing on Kauai. It is technically ILLEGAL to feed fish (yes, that includes sharks) within 3 miles of the Hawaii shoreline, now. One way to meet your goal is to put a fish carcass in your BC pocket and go out diving a few times as far offshore and in as much current as you can find, nighttime being the best. Make sure the sharks you attract do not get a bite of that fish in your pocket, because THAT would be illegal!

Seriously, if you are lucky and the surf is unseasonably down sometime during the next two weeks, hit Tunnels on Kauai with an experienced guide. You should be able to see some whitetip reef sharks. PM me and I can give you an accurate forecast of dive conditions at every shore spot. I am looking to do Tunnels myself one of these weekends. I have found the clearest water at Tunnels in between the giant winter swells when the inside reef is cleaned out.

Just an added thought on your quest for sharks. With regularity sharks are seen off the boats on a number of dive sites from the boats. Depending on what harbor you leave from....

Port Allen - Ambers Arches and Shauna's Shelves (joined sites) almost always offer whitetips. Hale O' Honu (House ofTurtles) 50/50.

Poipu - Turtle Bluffs has sharks 95% of the time. Currently encountering 4-5 per dive out there. Ice Box - 75% of the time. Currently 2 Sharks as of this am.

Numerous sharks are only found with regularity here at Niihau or Mana Crack. They are both primarily summer dives.

Tunnels is good in the very early spring. By the summer there are often 30+ divers per day up there and sharks are hit and miss due to the busy nature of the site.

AJ

Happy searching for the most amazing and mis-understood of ocean critters!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom