Hawaii diving with the RX100 II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP: nice shots! I find over/unders a pain with the RX100, have a new (bigger) wet lens with dome now so I may manage to get a few better ones next time around.

How do you like the acquapazza housing?

Not my shots, but I'll chime in and say that the RX100 mk I housing from Acquapazza is a joy to use, and essentially identical. It's solid, double O-ring, small, lightweight (good for travel), and plenty of places to attach arms/trays/balls/lights/whatever. I shoot mine without a tray and extra handle, just ball and joint arms (5"+ 8" ULCS) attached to the top, with some floats to balance the rig and lens holders for the macro/WA glass. Travels well, shoots well, great quality. Value is tough to beat, IMO.

Thanks!

I agree, over/under is a lot of luck with these smaller domes. It's awkward with a wet lens, since the water will start to drain out of the space between the port and lens and ruin your image. I hold my finger over the small drain hole on the top of the port to give myself an extra second or two to hit the shot. Maybe something like a rubber band would help here, I dunno. Waves are another x-factor.

Is there a good technique for getting focus to work both above and below? All of the decent shots I've gotten still have one half a bit out of focus. Maybe stopping down more?

I think it depends on the lens - my UFL-165 Inon Fisheye wet lens won't focus to infinity above water. You're best off shooting the 'foreground' in focus with deep depth of field.

Hey fish80, I'm jealous you get to live in Oahu and have access to dive so easily. I'm here in California, where the waters are a bit cooler :wink:(although I do enjoy diving Monterey every now and then)

Thank you so much for your detailed tips! I also learnt how to dive in California, in San Diego. There are beautiful dives there too. La Jolla Cove on a good day is still my favorite shore dive and next door in La Jolla Shores you can easily swim with leopard sharks. I write you a bit more in a PM because I don't want to clog your post. Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom