hawaii diving trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevethepirate:
I have about 20 dives, from the red sea and dominica (in the west indies). I dive with my sister, who has the same amount of dives pretty much. she only has the padi "scuba diver" certification, while i have the "open diver". we have been pretty confident with diving at around 85-90 feet. any type of diving, we really like walls though.
so first question: which island would have the best diving, period?

Steve, you better make sure you check which dive operators will take your sister with only a Scuba Diver cert. out on an open water dive. I believe that the back wall of Molokini is considered an advanced dive and she may need at least an OW certification to join a charter out there. Then again, all dives are lead (often by instructors) in Hawaii, so it may not be a big deal. Anyone know?

On a side note, I'd really encourage your sister to complete her Open Water certification and stop diving on just a Scuba Diver certification, particularly to the depths you describe. According to PADI, 60 feet is the recommended limit for an OW certified diver, with 100' for AOW, and 130' for someone with Deep Diver specialty training.

According to PADI, 60 feet is the recommended limit for an OW certified diver, with 100' for AOW, and 130' for someone with Deep Diver specialty training.

I've heard this before, but don't recall seeing it in any of my PADI manuals... does someone have a reference?

I just say this, because I seem to recall my OW instructor saying that we were now certified to 130'... and I didn't find anything in my AOW that would suggest I got further training to exceed 60' and go to 100'.

The Big Island has some incredible diving, some of which is ok with a "Scuba Diver" cert. Kauai is my personal favorite, but most of it is more 'advanced', especially the trips to Niihau/Lehua.

well, looks like we are doing big island in the end, everything on maui is booked. impossible to find places.

yeah, there are depth restrictions, but they are very conservative. when i learned, it was all done in meters, and the scuba divers certification was something like 12 meters... in dominica, they didnt care though. they took us down to where they thought we were capable of diving. i'll tell her to take the extra few courses though, its all easy stuff to change to open water. just swimming without your mask and that fun stuff.

Since you're doing the big island, make sure to do the Manta night dive. Although I haven't done it, I've seen lots of video and heard tons of divers say it shouldn't be missed. Can't wait to do it myself one day.

I've heard that upgrading from Scuba Diver to OW is pretty easy (if you do it within a year). I think your sister will be happier in the long run and won't have to worry about potential restrictions, or having to hire a DM in places where dives aren't guided.

Have a GREAT trip! :D

Back
Top Bottom