Hawaii Diving - Recommendations Requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thollis

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking to head to Hawaii to dive and need your recommendations:

1. What islands should I hit?
2. What dive sites are awesome?
3. What is the best time of the year to go?
4. What dive shops would you recommend?

Thanks!

I am only familar with Kauai BUT I would seriously consider giving Niihau with Seasport. Its considered an advanced dive so make sure you are comfortable with that. Kauai also has some other nice sites with my favorite dive being Sheraton Caverns. There are shore diving options as well. Kauai is a neat place and I had better than I expected diving. Seasport is a first class operation and a lot of fun also.

They videod my dives then took me into the classroom after and taught me all about the wildlife that we saw.

Having said all of that, if you dont plan on diving Niihau then I have heard there are better islands. I know some will chime in.

You'll find through responses that each island has things that are unique and make the diving there great. Hawaii has a great deal of diversity and that is one of the many draws to diving here. You may want to express your areas of interest and what you are looking for. You'll also see that Hawaii has dozens of highly respected operators and well known DM/instructors. By researching here you'll see many of those companies and names of DM's that people rave about.

Kauai - Probably best known for the opportunity to travel to the remote island of Niihau and diving with the monk seals. Locally (off Kauai - chance to see some of the rare fishes that are otherwise only seen in the northwest Hawaiian islands. Niihau/Lehua is considered by many to be the best diving in Hawaii - but can only be scheduled with regularity in the summer.

Oahu - Recognized for some great wreck diving not as abundant on other islands.

Maui - Offers a great chance to visit Molokini, Lanai and Molokai as well as numerous Maui sites. Also vast shore diving. Molokini and it's current swept back wall is a famous Hawaii drift experience.

Big Island - Everyone who's opened a dive magazine knows about the famous Manta Night dive!!! The Kona Coast is also the calmest and clearest water of the islands more often than not.

These are offered as just quick examples and professionals on each individual island can offer better info but you get the idea...

World class turtles, lava tubes, moray eels, spinner dolphins, eagle rays, fantastic endemic life etc... can be found on all the islands.

Send me a PM if you end up having specific Kauai questions. Otherwise post individual messages specific to your island of interest and I think your responses will flood in.

Best of luck and the best of island wishes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom