Hawaii - Diving late Nov/early Dec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We will be in Honolulu for a conference mid-November. We plan to extend our visit two more weeks and are planning to travel to the Big Island and either Kauai or Maui. We will do at least two days of diving on each of the islands. It's my understanding that we might be able to dive with the humpback whales as this is the beginning of their migration. Where would be the best place to dive to increase the chance of this happening during this time of year?

I've always wanted to dive with humpbacks so your post caught my eye. I am very jealous! I adore tacking vacation onto conferences, but most of my conferences aren't in places with such great diving!

I'm sure others will be able to provide you with more info, but I saw another thread which touched on humpback diving which you may want to check out: Best months for diving in Kauai and Kona?

A couple years ago I was at a conference in Maui during very early December. Would do an early morning shore dive with private DM and then go to conference later. Very enjoyable dives. On the first day as we entered the water we could see whales off in the distance. On the third day DM stopped and motioned me to stop. We hung silently there and we could hear whales singing in the distance. Very magical moment. One afternoon the wife and I went on a whale watching trip. Highlight was we came across a mother and what crew said was the first calf of the year. Watched them for a while. Mom just lay there and calf played around and over her. Like a kitten and a momma lion.

The boats had to stay a bit away. You could not go right up next to the whales. I am not sure that you can dive right next to them. It is a nursery after all and they do not want folks hassling them.

Still a neat experience.

The water between Maui, Lanai, and Molokai has the largest concentration of humpbacks in the Hawaiian islands due to its depth and protection from the open seas. Best place to calve, breed, and raise babies during the first couple of months after birth.

Please be aware that the odds of actually seeing a humpback while under water is very rare. Of course you could get very lucky to see one, but hearing them sing is absolutely amazing. Sometime it is so loud and intense that you can actually feel the sound waves as they reverberate on your body. Very cool!!

It's my understanding that we might be able to dive with the humpback whales as this is the beginning of their migration.
Your understanding is incorrect, it's illegal to approach any humpback whale within 300' per the Marine Mammal Protection Act,,
approaching within 100 yards (91.4 m) of a humpback whale by any means, causing a vessel, person or other object to approach within 100 yards (91.4 m) of a humpback whale, or approaching a humpback whale by interception (i.e., placing an aircraft, vessel, person, or other object in the path of a humpback whale so that the whale approaches within a restricted distance). The regulations also prohibit the disruption of normal behavior or prior activity of a humpback whale by any act or omission.

Federal Register :: Approach Regulations for Humpback Whales in Waters Surrounding the Islands of Hawaii Under the Marine Mammal Protection Act

Even the certified whale watch boats have the same distance restrictions and many of them have shrouded props for the animals safety. One of the reasons the inter-island ferry was protested and never really got started a few years ago was due to the possibility that a collision could occur outside the harbors.

To hear/feel whale song the Molokini Backwall (more of an advanced dive typically) is a good spot as it reverberates off it.

I have a friend whose parents live on Maui - she spent a lot of summers/vacations there. She has a blurry video of a calf she shot there once years ago - it was about 3-400' away from them - they never saw mama but the boat crew later said mama/calf were spotted while everyone was diving.

To swim with Humbbacks - go to Tonga. Even the dive operations there don't allow diving with them though.
https://www.tonganexpeditions.com/swim-with-whales-2/

I will admit that having the privilege of being within 40’ of a 30’ Humpback underwater was a near religious experience for me and I hope to be blessed to experience it again in my lifetime.

I read a story here of one being seen while diving at Hookena on the Big Island and saw one briefly myself at Kohanaiki, but expecting to see one from underwater is very unlikely. They are found up and down the coast but the bay up at Puako seems to be a good spot. You can survey the bay from the highway above, and may well hear them for the entire dive.

Seeing a humpback while diving isn't easily done. It's the law the keep at least 100 yards away from them. November also not being a super active time for humpbacks. However, they do start to show up and a friend of mine just saw 3 off of Oahu a couple weeks ago!!! We ("Explore Kauai Scuba") love to go above and beyond on our trips. If we find or hear of something cool in the waters, we don't mind spending extra time in going to check it out. We only offer 1 trip a day so we're never rushed to get back into harbor for a second trip. We'd love to have you and to answer any questions you may have, diving and even non diving island questions.

For Maui, I hear good things about "Mike Severns Diving".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom